• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Return to Black-and-White Stripes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN

Inmates housed in Michigan's Saginaw County Jail will now be wearing horizontal black-and-white striped jumpsuits, despite prisoner objections over the change from orange.

Sheriff William Federspiel thought orange jumpsuits were becoming too fashionable and has ordered the switch, addressing prisoner complaints by saying: "If you don't like the clothes I give you, don't come back."

http://mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/07/black_and_white_is_the_new_ora.html

TigerD

Fortunately for them he has not yet thought of frilly lacy teddies and pink t-shirts emblazoned with a sparkly "Princess" across the front.

DC

Isis1

Fortunately for them he has not yet thought of frilly lacy teddies and pink t-shirts emblazoned with a sparkly "Princess" across the front.

DC

i'd probably commit murder for a wardrobe like that. can i get mine tailored to say "Queen" instead?

Indiana Filer

My county jail has the inmates in dark gray and white stripes. A lot of them must like the stripes since they keep returning over and over (and over and over...)

Proserpina

(From your resident beauty blogger)

Wearing all orange looks good on NOBODY EVER.

Now, a bit of an accent (think summer shoes) can look gorgeous. A coral necklace or - gasp - even a coral lipstick or eyeshadow (careful - you don't want to actually look like an orange..trust me) can really warm up your overall look. Peach is usually much softer but if you're light-skinned and blue eyed, too much peach is going to make you look like an Oompa Loompa with liver disease (again, trust me there). So either stay with a pale shade, or try something drastically darker such as dark rust and you'll have a bolder but still delicate look.

If you're darker skinned you can get away with some stunningly bright shades that you can actually wear together. Bright oranges are gorgeous if your eyes are dark brown or hazel. You're also the only one who can get away with neon orange - just don't use it for lips AND eyes. Pick one, and then try a good green - I know it sounds weird, but that combination is just gorgeous when it's done right.

If your eyes are amber (like mine), be careful - you've got enough warmth and adding a ton of peach-based makeup is going to completely overshadow your eyes. We don't want that. A little bit of tangerine can be good, but keep it subtle. Brights = no no. Subtle = oh heck yeah!

Black and white together? It is possible to make that work, but given that there are no salons in jail (presumably?) y'all will look dreadful.

Sorry.

Love,

Beauty Blogger.

Just Blue

(From your resident beauty blogger)

Wearing all orange looks good on NOBODY EVER.

Now, a bit of an accent (think summer shoes) can look gorgeous. A coral necklace or - gasp - even a coral lipstick or eyeshadow (careful - you don't want to actually look like an orange..trust me) can really warm up your overall look. Peach is usually much softer but if you're light-skinned and blue eyed, too much peach is going to make you look like an Oompa Loompa with liver disease (again, trust me there). So either stay with a pale shade, or try something drastically darker such as dark rust and you'll have a bolder but still delicate look.

If you're darker skinned you can get away with some stunningly bright shades that you can actually wear together. Bright oranges are gorgeous if your eyes are dark brown or hazel. You're also the only one who can get away with neon orange - just don't use it for lips AND eyes. Pick one, and then try a good green - I know it sounds weird, but that combination is just gorgeous when it's done right.

If your eyes are amber (like mine), be careful - you've got enough warmth and adding a ton of peach-based makeup is going to completely overshadow your eyes. We don't want that. A little bit of tangerine can be good, but keep it subtle. Brights = no no. Subtle = oh heck yeah!

Black and white together? It is possible to make that work, but given that there are no salons in jail (presumably?) y'all will look dreadful.

Sorry.

Love,

Beauty Blogger.
Don't do the crime if you don't like the color of the uniform. ;)

Proserpina

Don't do the crime if you don't like the color of the uniform. ;)

Yes but FREEDOM OF ORANGE is a movement prisoners are starting.

Okay, that was a complete and utter lie.

Orange sucks overall and overalls should never be orange.

Therefore, they need to sort out the black and white stuff, and send all the orange stuff to England.

Because England loves fashion.

(cue hysterical laughter here)

:D

Just Blue

Yes but FREEDOM OF ORANGE is a movement prisoners are starting.

Okay, that was a complete and utter lie.

Orange sucks overall and overalls should never be orange.

Therefore, they need to sort out the black and white stuff, and send all the orange stuff to England.

Because England loves fashion.

(cue hysterical laughter here)

:D
HAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! :p

TigerD

On a serious note, we are in dire need of revisiting our criminal codes at all levels. Our prison and jail population has exploded and it is not a good thing. This bastion of freedom has the highest incarceration rates in the world. China - red communist China - jails people at a lower rate.

I hate to trivialize the issue, but comedian John Oliver nails the problem: http://youtu.be/_Pz3syET3DY

Our country is destined to break up into several nations if we continue down the path we are on.

DC

justalayman

Our country is destined to break up into several nations if we continue down the path we are on.

DC
While that might be true, I suspect it would not coalesce into such within my lifetime. It will require a new revolutionary war. If sustainable it would surely be more deadly and destructive than anything we have seen in the Arab countries we have been involved with recently. It could last a long time and only upon some victory by the revolutionaries would anything resembling a separate state begin to be developed.

Given the huge military machine our government yields, it will likely take members from within that military force joining the revolution and bringing along military armaments to aid the revolt to avoid the revolution, at least as a truly threatening force, from being put down quickly.

I suspect I will be long gone and possibly even my children before we might see a new country or countries evolving from what we now have.

and all a possibility because the current government has become so convoluted, oppressive, and elitist (and a thousand other negative adjectives) that it is unlikely to ever change without such a revolt.

quincy

... I hate to trivialize the issue, but comedian John Oliver nails the problem: http://youtu.be/_Pz3syET3DY ...
It is interesting to me how it can sometimes take a comedian, puppets or a song to inform the public of serious problems in this country. Perhaps it is because this type of delivery is best understood?

I think what I find most disturbing about what was communicated by John Oliver and the puppets was the racial makeup* of the prisoners in U.S., although the growth of the prison population is also worrisome.

*note to Beauty Blogger: I am using in my sentence a different type of "makeup" here ;), although, based on your earlier beauty advice, statistics seem to indicate that the majority of prisoners housed in U.S. prisons look good in orange.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">