• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to an attorney... denided by the court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Iceburg

I have recentlly received several speeding tickets. In fear that I was going to lose my licence I pleaded not-guity to a ticket that was 4 points, and probablly around a 300 dollars fine. The DA told me that he would leave the offer that he had offered me open till the end of the month. He offered me a 3 point violation, and the same fine. Since I pleded not-guilty I had a court date set, and they asked me who I would be represented by, and I said that I would need a public defender. They told me that the court had adopted a thing called decriminalized law, and since they had done that they do not have to provide me with an attorney. I can not afford one since I am a full time student, nor do I have the time to research what I need to do about all of this. My questions are: What is the deal with decriminalized law, is this for real, or are my rights being violated. What can I do about this? Where should I look to for help.

T

trickykid

i am no law expert, but it seems this is in violation with federal laws, i believe you can actually represent yourself as your own attorney if they have this decriminlized law or whatever..
the federal law protects us with that, you should be able to represent yourself in the case since you can't afford one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">