• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to Speedy trial in OR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikef6301

I was charged with a crime in Oregon and turned myself in to the jail and then was released on bond. This was in September of 2003. I've never had the opportunity in court to plead not guilty, a not guilty plea was entered for me. I've never been asked to speak in court except for one time to confirm I understood something. I won a motion to suppress that effectively ended the States case against me. They appealed and won, I appealed their appeal and lost. The search warrant they used was so incomplete, poorly written, and just overall lacking I don't really understand how judges can rule it as valid. I've noticed in researching Oregon law that basically whatever the state wants they get. The search warrant had an address, but my address had a unit letter after it and the warrant listed no unit letter instead described a door that led to two units (one of them mine.) The entire warrant was based on a telephone conversation over a prepaid cell phone with the Sheriff employee that wrote the warrant. I am wondering what kind of claim I could have on a right to a speedy trial. I sent a letter preserving my right to a speedy trial in 04. It's been nearly 5 years and my public defender tells me they intend to pursue it. I had hired an attorney in the beginning but she wanted 25k additional. I could right a book about the experience I have had with the Oregon system. Can someone can refer me to Oregon cases or federal cases where the defendant won based on their right to a speedy trial being violated?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">