• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

road rage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jetfixer1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?TX. OK, a woman cut me off in her car. After exchanging multiple hand signals with each other, I exited my truck at the next traffic signal and began yelling at the woman. While yelling, some spit sprayed onto her face and she became even more furious than she already was. She exited her vehicle and came after me when I tried to get back to my truck. When I turned to face her she made an attempt to spit in my face. When she spit I raised the palm of my hand to block it. At the same time she lunged fwd to spit her nose or lips made contact with the palm of my hand. I t was not a hard or firm contact at all, and she bacame even more enraged than she was before. She got my tag# and called local police and told them that I struck her. When they questioned me I assured them I did nothing of the sort. My options are pay a $450 fine w/ assault class "c" on my record, or go speak to a prosecuter at the local jp courthouse. I dont know if any whitnesses came fwd for her, she took off pretty fast because traffic started rolling. I have a clean record, should I speak to or retain an attorney should I choose to tell my side of the story to a prosecuter?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?TX. OK, a woman cut me off in her car. After exchanging multiple hand signals with each other, I exited my truck at the next traffic signal and began yelling at the woman. While yelling, some spit sprayed onto her face and she became even more furious than she already was. She exited her vehicle and came after me when I tried to get back to my truck. When I turned to face her she made an attempt to spit in my face. When she spit I raised the palm of my hand to block it. At the same time she lunged fwd to spit her nose or lips made contact with the palm of my hand. I t was not a hard or firm contact at all, and she bacame even more enraged than she was before. She got my tag# and called local police and told them that I struck her. When they questioned me I assured them I did nothing of the sort. My options are pay a $450 fine w/ assault class "c" on my record, or go speak to a prosecuter at the local jp courthouse. I dont know if any whitnesses came fwd for her, she took off pretty fast because traffic started rolling. I have a clean record, should I speak to or retain an attorney should I choose to tell my side of the story to a prosecuter?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Don't you just hate it when a someone's face just happens to come in contact with your raised hand? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

caslerst

It seems to me that, although getting out of your car to yell at the other driver was monumentally stupid, you walked away. At that point she could have just driven off but she chose to get out and come after you.

If she had rolled her windown down when you came up and pepper sprayed you, I could understand because she has no idea what your intentions are and she's protecting herself.

In the same manner, when she came up to you, you don't know what her intentions are. Maybe she's going to pepper spray you, use a stun gun, stab you, punch you in the face, or spit in your face. I say protect yourself.

And don't talk to the cops.

Not a legal opinion, just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetfixer1

I have no intention of paying the fine. Finances are tight, and I dont know if I can afford an attorney. The police report and the 2 statements havent even gone to the courthouse yet. I have nothing to hide. I'll tell the prosecuter what I told the deputy, that I didnt hit that woman. I know that she was cited as well, just dont know what with. I guess I'm going to consult w/ an attorney, and see If he/she has a payment plan.

Alex23

I hate it when people cut me off, especially if they are smoking, eating, drinking and chatting on the phone at the same time.

outonbail

I hate it when people cut me off, especially if they are smoking, eating, drinking and chatting on the phone at the same time.
Whenever were driving the public roads and highways, there is always going to be someone to get pissed off about. In fact, there's usually one person for every city block you drive, that appears to be completely oblivious to the fact that there are actually other vehicles sharing the road with them.
So, if you're going to let yourself get worked up every time some inept driver does something you don't like, then your probably better off taking the bus or letting someone else drive.
Because if you are the type of person who has to blow your horn, flip someone off, jump out of your car at a stoplight to spit in a face, or throw something at another car or driver, you're eventually going to end up in jail, the hospital, civil court or maybe even the morgue.
Crappy, reckless, unconscious, rude and ignorant drivers are as common as cheap sunglasses and they're here to stay. There are also very good drivers who make mistakes, become distracted or have a blowout or some other unexpected malfunction that causes them to lose control for a second or more.
This is one of those facts of life that we just need to deal with in a civilized manner. Losing your composure and becoming irate over having to slam on your brakes, or swerve to avoid someone or having to slow down is simply immature and sooner or later you will regret getting angry over such petty nonsense.

Just like the Op of this thread, everyone believes their actions were justified. But the OP is probably in for a big surprise if he thinks his story will excuse his actions. Not only will he most likely be found guilty of assault, but he will be missing work to appear in court, he will be paying off fines, (regardless of his intentions) doing community service, paying an attorney, he'll be placed on probation and even after the probation is completed, he'll have a criminal record for assault that will follow him around and most likely continue to have a negative effect on his future endeavors.
Plus, if this woman who hit his hand with her nose and lips wanted to make a big deal out of it, she could go to an emergency room or doctor for x-rays and to have her nose and lips checked out. Yes siree, all she needs to say is she's in a lot of pain.
Then, on top of the criminal case and everything it brings the OP's way, he'll also be losing a case in civil court! This means he will be held responsible for all her doctor bills, medical expenses, pain and suffering and maybe even a little punitive damage to make sure he doesn't assault any other women who don't drive to his liking.

He sure showed her a thing or two didn't he.

This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker that reads:

SOME PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE,
I CALL THOSE PEOPLE,, EVERYBODY BUT ME!

swrdmbo

Good post outonbail...you said exactly what I was thinking.

I am getting from the OP posts that he thinks he is somehow wronged here...and seems to have no clue as to how unacceptable his behavior is.

People like him NEED to get some stiff fines,and if the assault sticks, maybe it will teach him a lesson.

And to the OP...you will be paying the fines...one way or another. Grow up. I am afraid to ask how old you are because I am afraid you are going to say 35 or 40. You are being an a$$.
By getting out of your car (bad enough with the hand signals) you set this whole thing in motion and have no-one to blame but yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">