• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

road rage/ assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

locustgurl

What is the name of your state?

PA

Im not sure if this is the appropriate category, but here goes:

Last saturday my boyfriend and i were on our bikes, and some jerk in an SUV decides to pass us, while there were cars coming in the opposite direction (he even hits one of the mirrors of another car) and nearly run us into some cars, we shout at him "share the road" and "be courteous to others" and this jerk stops his vehicle, gets out and proceeds to throw my boyfriend off his bike and into a car, and attempts to attack my boyfriend and trys to hit him, which was unsuccessful as he was about half the size of my boyfriend. He, in the process rips my bf's glasses off his face and then stomps on them, destroying his beautiful matsuda glasses he just bought. Thankfully there are good people in the world and someone who was coming in the oncoming traffic who's car was hit by this same guy turned around, and some people came out of their houses..we got his lisence plate like any intelligent person woudl do as he took off. immediatly called the police and they arrived momentarily, and also brought the guy back to the scene. we had about 6 witnesses to what happened, the entire thing, from the guy nearly killing us and then the assault. they dont arrest him because apparently in PA the police have to be witness to an assault to arrest someone?!!??!
we have since pressed assault charges with the DA, who seemed to care less (as i expect is the case for most DAs? this is my first run-in with one) to the entire situation.
This guy is not going to get anything but fined for this act of total insanity, for damages and i guess maybe something else. but i really dont think this is fair (welcome to america right?) and really feel that there should be more punishment, somehow even if its only monetary.
If there are any suggestions or reccomendations i would greatly appreiciate it. Fortunatly the school he and i attend offers free legal services on tuesdays, as we have an appointment then.

thanks for reading this, and please let me know your thoughts! i just cant believe that someone who woudl act in this manner could get away with a simple fine.

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

okay, well for one i dont think that it was " share the road and be courteous to drivers" that you were shouting out, secondly what more do you want from the guy? do you want him to hang by his balls because he beat up your boyfriend? if you want to in addition to his having to pay a fine you could take him to civil court and
get money for any medical problems your boyfriend incurred and the money to replace the glasses, other than that their really is nothing you can do...
and by the way since the guy was " half the size" of your boyfriend I am sure your boyfriend didnt hit him back or anything right he just stood there and took it like the Courteous person he is? i dont mean to sound mean but you sound like the guy should get the death penalty..

L

locustgurl

hahhaha

ahhh the beauty of the internet!

well, you werent there..and you dont know me, so i suppose that someone in this case coudl have possibly reacted in the way you are proposing.

you are correct i did not say "be courteous to drivers", i said "be courteous to others" and well, that is all i said, as well as "share the road".

I cant imagine that you could possibly think that anything that someone would shout out to the car that almost runs them and their mate into parked cars, as well as hitting another car, would justify anyone to get out of his vehicle and attack a person? but thats just me.

i guess you, "linkinparkgirl" obviously feel differently.

my boyfriend never was able to hit this fine gentleman, as he was sitting on his bike at the time, not expecting someone to react in such a manner..

its ok, im not really concerned with what you have to say on this matter..im looking for "real" advice, not trolls.

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

First off maybe you should have read the whole thing but then again you are just looking for someone to agree with you. I agree what this guy did was DEFINATELY wrong, i just think you are asking for alot more than your gonna get. and you are right i wasnt there but i guarantee that if someone is trying to run me over i wouldnt be yelling out "OH please be courteous to others" and as for trolls that is really a mature response, i would stand tall on that one your a wise ass on here cause you didnt like what i said but you almost get run down and you yell be courteous to others? yeah right, your lily white innocent arent you? tell your boyfriend to chalk it up to all the other ass whoopins he got in high school

L

locustgurl

ok,

i apologize for my initial response, i realized soon after i sent it that what i responded to was not the whole of your message.

again the beauty of the internet..my humble apologies.

and to respond to your first post, i totally agree with you that my initial statement was a bit over the top, and i definitly have overreacted to the situation..i look back on what happened and am shocked that someone would act in that manner, but then i realize that what happened to us was just really stupid and there are FAR more important things going on than this..

in my defense, i am a self-proclaimed golden rule follower and lately i am being made aware of the reality that not everyone feels the same as me (wake up right?)

ok enough clutter!

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

well my first reaction if someone is trying to run me off the road (and it has happened )is i get mad, and yell. I am however not a courteous person i will say exactly what i feel, nobody has ever beaten my ass over it though ( thank god) some people are just idiots and have anger problems. please let me know what you are gonna do. i would take him to court for the cost of the glasses and any medical? did your boyfriend get hurt or was it more or less a scuffle?

L

locustgurl

arrrrggh

well..we dropped all charges, only requesting money for damages [600.00]. Today was the day that this money was to be in..and guess what. NO PAYMENT.

i cant believe it. ive got contact information for this gentleman, but i fear that contacting him will only make him angrier (he brought his daddy along to the trial, who is a GIANT typical "coach" type..*please note i am not suggesting that ALL coaches are like this* very angry in the waiting room, and just scary..)

its great, because we have already paid for the glasses to be replaced..perfect timing to get this money for the holidays, now ruined.

what, if anything will happen to this guy now that he didnt pay? can we have another trial? press charges now? threaten him with civil court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">