• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scam - The Empty Package Trick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

junior24

I recently made a purchase on ebay in which the seller and I agreed to terms on the purchase price of 1000.00 for a sports card. I paid the seller via paypal.com 1013.00 of which 13.00 was to go for FEd EX Shipping.

After 3 days I went back to paypal and cancelled the payment, because I realized the seller did not adhere to my shipping request. The next day a package arrives from USPS with a delivery confirmation sticker. I refuse the package because I knew he was trying to scam me at that point. But then The seller goes into paypal and uses the USPS web site as proof of purchase of the package delivery.

Paypal wil not refund my money because they state they do not cover returns and I would have to go after the seller directly, he of course cannot be reached.

I honestly feel as if Paypal should be held responsible because I did cancel the transaction and refuse the package. Don't they have any liability to act in good faith?

I would appreciate anybodys input.
Thanks
Junior

Good luck getting paypal to do anything!

The package arrived, empty?

Your best bet is to pull the seller's contact info and call him. If you cannot reach him, then contact the good ol' US Post Office and file a complaint for mail fraud.

The FBI has an internet site where you can report internet fraud. They get right on it, too. E-bay or other internet auctions fall within that category.

I've bought and sold tons of stuff on Ebay, with only one bad experience. I waited for two months for the package that never arrived. The contact number for the seller was a pager--he never responded to my calls.

I went online and filed a complaint with the FBI internet fraud unit. They responded via email the next day. About four days later, my package arrived. The jerk evidently got scared.

Be sure to file a complaint with Ebay's Safe Harbor. If there have been other complaints against this guy, they will kick his ass off.
What kind of feedback did this guy have that you trusted him with $1013? No insurance or E-Escrow used?

Good luck.

S

SCWalsh

Yeah I know all about PayPal...LOL...they can kiss my ass!

About a year ago I sold a audio cd recorder through E-Bay and the buyer paid through PayPal. About a week later, the buyer left positive feedback on my E-Bay feedback profile and then a few weeks later filed a complaint against me with PayPal. He said the item never arrived! But yet he left positive feedback a week after he paid...LMAO!

PayPal requested that I send them a copy of the tracking bill, which I did. Then after they recieve it, with proof that he signed for the package they still refunded his money to him and then put a charge back on my PayPal account. They actually think I'm going to pay for this! I called them up and told them what they could do...

R

RedneckRoy

Runningonempty, thank you for the information. I haven't been burned yet buying things off of e-bay. It sure enough is nice to know what I can do if I ever do get burned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">