• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a scam? What should I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jordan00722

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I was approached by 2 companies in Philadelphia that hired me to open 2 certificates of deposit in Washington for $10,000 each. They sent me 2 checks made out to the bank for $10,000 each and I deposited them. For that service, I was paid $500.

I opened the accounts in my name and ss#. They sent me a letter that I was suppose to sign and return that would take my name and ss# off the account. I didn't send it back to them yet. Who is to say they would send it to the bank?

Question: Am I liable to pay taxes for any interest they earn while my name is on the account? Their plan is to turn around in 3 months and double their money. I am the only authorized signer on the account. I personally cannot take my name off the account without one of the people from the company being present. I have had thoughts of drawing the money out and holding onto it until they contact me again. How much trouble could i get into by doing that?

nanaII

Yes, This Is A Scam!

jordan00722 said:

I was approached by 2 companies in Philadelphia that hired me to open 2 certificates of deposit in Washington for $10,000 each. They sent me 2 checks made out to the bank for $10,000 each and I deposited them. For that service, I was paid $500.

I opened the accounts in my name and ss#. They sent me a letter that I was suppose to sign and return that would take my name and ss# off the account. I didn't send it back to them yet. Who is to say they would send it to the bank?

Question: Am I liable to pay taxes for any interest they earn while my name is on the account? Their plan is to turn around in 3 months and double their money. I am the only authorized signer on the account. I personally cannot take my name off the account without one of the people from the company being present. I have had thoughts of drawing the money out and holding onto it until they contact me again. How much trouble could i get into by doing that?
I would take all documentation/information whatever you have IMMEDIATELY to the bank and explain what happened. I hope you still have the $500 they gave you. Do NOT return sign and return the letter. Take it to the bank, also.

HomeGuru

jordan00722 said:

I was approached by 2 companies in Philadelphia that hired me to open 2 certificates of deposit in Washington for $10,000 each.

**A: they did not hire you in the sense that they were the employer and you the employee, Rather you were the independent contractor "runner" aiding and abetting a royal scam. Did you even stop to think that either the checks were worthless or you will be on the end of questioning by Federal agents such as the FBI, US Customs, IRS...... ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">