• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed by advertising company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstep2

new jersey

Long story short i own a tutoring service, i have a website that i wanted advertised. I paid an online advertising company once a month for 2 years to have them send an email with my advertisement to their list they claimed was 32,000 people in my area. I found out the list size is actually less than 3,000 people.

I know the companies physical address, etc so they can't hide behind the internet or whatnot.
My question is what crimes did they commit, as in what criminal charges they could be facing so i have something to work with when i ask them for a refund. If they refuse i plan on going to civil trial but i would like to avoid this if possible and just get my money back.

JETX

Long story short i own a tutoring service, i have a website that i wanted advertised. I paid an online advertising company once a month for 2 years to have them send an email with my advertisement to their list they claimed was 32,000 people in my area. I found out the list size is actually less than 3,000 people.

I know the companies physical address, etc so they can't hide behind the internet or whatnot.
My question is what crimes did they commit, as in what criminal charges they could be facing so i have something to work with when i ask them for a refund. If they refuse i plan on going to civil trial but i would like to avoid this if possible and just get my money back.
Though it might be argued they committed fraud, what you have described does not rise to criminal.

What was their response when sent them your 'complaint' in WRITING (certified RRR) with proof of their 'deception'.

As for your civil claim, save your time and energy.

fstep2

Though it might be argued they committed fraud, what you have described does not rise to criminal.

What was their response when sent them your 'complaint' in WRITING (certified RRR) with proof of their 'deception'.

As for your civil claim, save your time and energy.
they have ignored all complaints and will no longer respond

are you telling me theres nothing i can do? i mean they stole 1000s of dollars from me and others!

edit: the proof i have is in email form from when i originally made the deal with the company i asked how many subscribers they had and they gave me that number. i also have a voice recording of a phone conversation of them stating this number.

Last edited:

JETX

are you telling me theres nothing i can do?
No. There are lots of things you can do. Some are:
1) Hold your breath... and hope that they give in.
2) Whine and cry as loud as you can... and hope that they give in.
3) Step outside and yell "I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore!" as loud as you can.

i mean they stole 1000s of dollars from me and others!
No they didn't. You hired them to advertise your business and from your post they did that. The only issue here is.... what business can you PROVE you lost by their saying they would SPAM 32k people... when they only SPAMMED 3200?

edit: the proof i have is in email form from when i originally made the deal with the company i asked how many subscribers they had and they gave me that number. i also have a voice recording of a phone conversation of them stating this number.
And neither of them help you to prove 'damages'.

fstep2

No they didn't. You hired them to advertise your business and from your post they did that. The only issue here is.... what business can you PROVE you lost by their saying they would SPAM 32k people... when they only SPAMMED 3200?

And neither of them help you to prove 'damages'.
i didn't lose business i lost money!
i paid them the standard fee per email sent they charged me 10x that by lying, isn't that false advertising or something at least
whats to stop me from selling any kind of service and telling people that service is actually a completely different service which is more expensive and charging that price

thats like someone selling a chevy cavalier and telling someone who doesn't know about cars that its really a bmw and charging them the bmw price tag

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">