• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

scamming an illicit organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leo.James

So, basically I'm curious, if it's possible to scam an organization which is actively working against the United States legal system or country itself, would that be an illegal action? As it would technically be helping the country in it's legal efforts.

quincy

So, basically I'm curious, if it's possible to scam an organization which is actively working against the United States legal system or country itself, would that be an illegal action? As it would technically be helping the country in it's legal efforts.
What is the name of your state, Leo.James, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

A "scam" by definition is an illegal action.

single317dad

From a civil standpoint, the Clean Hands Doctrine can sometimes offer some protection. Speaking criminally, vigilante justice is very much frowned upon. Killing a rapist, for example, is still murder. Selling fake drugs to a drug user or dealer is still a crime. Stealing from thieves is not only theft, but could be fraud as well.

The police are allowed to take actions that citizens cannot in the course of their duty, for example, making a large drug buy.

If you'd like to assist your government in its crime fighting efforts, I recommend you join your local, state, or federal law enforcement agency.

FlyingRon

From a civil standpoint, the Clean Hands Doctrine can sometimes offer some protection. Speaking criminally, vigilante justice is very much frowned upon. Killing a rapist, for example, is still murder. Selling fake drugs to a drug user or dealer is still a crime. Stealing from thieves is not only theft, but could be fraud as well.

The police are allowed to take actions that citizens cannot in the course of their duty, for example, making a large drug buy.

If you'd like to assist your government in its crime fighting efforts, I recommend you join your local, state, or federal law enforcement agency.
I disagree. Clean hands doctrine doesn't apply to this situation (where you are doing something illegal). Clean hands says if you're doing something illegal (or unfair) that you can't sue civilly when you get burned. It is not a defense to a criminal charge that your illegal activity was to counter someone else's activity. The legal principal is one your mother surely told you at a young age: Two wrongs don't make a right.

single317dad

I disagree. Clean hands doctrine doesn't apply to this situation (where you are doing something illegal). Clean hands says if you're doing something illegal (or unfair) that you can't sue civilly when you get burned. It is not a defense to a criminal charge that your illegal activity was to counter someone else's activity. The legal principal is one your mother surely told you at a young age: Two wrongs don't make a right.
Read my post again; we're not in disagreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">