• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Crime - Server Hacking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

quiksilver2k1

State: NJ

Ok first off, let me explain my situation.

My friend and my brother were able to obtain the SYSOP password for the school network. They told me about it and I was curious and whatnot, but I said from the start that I did not want to be involved.I never logged in with the sysop account nor did I do anything with it.

They used keykey ( a keylogger) to obtain the school sysop password.

Now somehow this password got spread around and some other people used it to delete teacher files, they claim five years worth of work.

Now my computer teacher, a sysop, claims they could have the legal right to sue for their damages.

Now I was called down to speak in front of the principle, vice principle, network security advisor and two other people, I explained my situation and I said i was innocent and I had nothing to do with it (Granted my friend and my brother already told them I wasn't involved), they also made me write everything down, date it and sign it ( what would be the point of that? Would that hold up in court, no parents or lawyer were present with me and I am only 16).

Like I said i was innocent, was not involved and they banned me from the computers, they sent a memo to all the teachers telling them I was not to go on the computers, I was alright with that because they were still investigating and this matter hasnt been solved yet, but what bothers me is, today I went into the library and the librarian pointed at me and did a hand movement telling me to get out.. I am personally embarressed about the whole situtation, I didnt do anything and I am being treated unfair.

Now if they were to ban me from the computers permantaly, that would prevent me from taking a programming class and if this went on my record, it could prevent me from going to college, this is a very serious matter.

Now would actions could I take? What actions based on what I told you could the school take? Could I really have a case for personal grief or if I cant persue a college because of an incident in whcih I have nothing to do with?

Could I be guilty by association? How can they really expect me to tell on my brother and friend... I just wanted to be left out of this... but obviously that won't happen.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">