• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

screwed by detective

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wedking

Utah

I purchased a dodge truck in april of 1998. It was done on a lease through a national bank. The dealership prepared and signed all of the papers. Three weeks later I received a letter from the bank saying I didn't initial one of the changes. I opened the attached copy of the contract to find nine changes to the numbers on the contract and my initials forged next to all of the changes. The dealership had changed all of the numbers and took me for over six thousand dollars. I contacted the police department to press criminal charges against them. It has now been almost four years and I still haven't gotten the police to do jack! No police report has been filed, and everytime I meet with the police detective he just tells me he will do it next week. I complained to the police chief, and he told me it was up to the investigator, and if he didn't want to look into the matter he didn't have to. I went in again to meet with the officer last week, now he is telling me that he lost all of the evidence that I gave him four years ago, so he can't pursue the matter until I get him new evidence. (He had all of the originals, including my copy of the contract that showed no changes) How is this legal? Don't I have a right for them to at least look into the charges? No investigation was ever conducted! Can I make any charges against the police officer and the police station? I am sure they are just trying to sweep the matter under the rug. The detective that was handling the case was discovered to be illiterate a year ago. (just the person I want to be working on a contract case) I have asked the police chief for a new officer to work on the case, but unfortunately, this is a small department and they only have one investigator. So it is him or no one. What Can I do to defend my rights as the victim?

H

Humble Warrior

Dude.....do I really need to tell you to call an attorney? Something similar happened to me. My car got repo'ed two weeks after I got it,because the dealer wrote down crap from memory,and not form me. The info didnt match what I told the loan company,and my car was taken.
I called the dealership,and simply told them they needed to contact my attorney at ******* . Two hours later I had my car delivered to me again by a driver,and they took $5000 of of the price.
Call an attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">