• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Screwed up checking account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacksparrow

Missouri

My husband was the treasurer of a boy scout account. We (really) screwed up and also used it as a personal account. Because of that, the account became negative after a new account was opened. (Which had nothing to do with my husband at the time, he resigned from treasurer) The troop committee found out and bank statements were given to the local sheriffs department. We have already started making everything right (before the statements were handed over) and are repaying everything back with the bank. What are we looking at legally? We've never done anything like this before and are seriously scared that the police are going to pull up to the house and arrest us.

CdwJava

My husband was the treasurer of a boy scout account. We (really) screwed up and also used it as a personal account.
Oops!

I hope you kept very, very, VERY goo books on both the personal and scouting side! At least that way you might be able to show that no criminal malfeasance was intended.

What are we looking at legally? We've never done anything like this before and are seriously scared that the police are going to pull up to the house and arrest us.
Do not speak to the police. Consult legal counsel ASAP. This can be a very serious crime. Even if you pay it back, you can still be charged with a crime.

Depending on the crime(s) alleged, they may have to show intent to commit some form of larceny. if the steps you took were convenient (though stupid) and good records were kept, you may be able to walk away from this with a minimum of problems. But, you could be looking at some serious felonies here.

So, Monday morning, consult legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">