• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealing of Record & Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

757driver

What is the name of your state? NV

Does anyone know what the difference between sealing of a record and expunging a record is?

I was recently involved in a criminal action where the charge was dropped and case dismissed. I was arrested and spent 3 days in jail, paid the bail and a reduced fine. It was a first-time misdemeanor with NO priors whatsoever.

I also know that convicted felonies cannot be expunged or only after several years. Once again, this was a misdemeanor with NO conviction and NO plea bargain, case dismissed.

With regard to sealing, who exactly are the documents sealed from? Agencies doing employment background checks? If it was in the municipal court are the records kept only @ city level? What about state or federal level (FBI fingerprinting checks)?

Thanks for any and all responses.

P

pass23431

Unless you are a minor, you can bet that your activities will be a matter of public record. Juvenille offenses are automatically "sealed records" and depending on the charge, etc. your conviction may or may not be expungable. You would be surprised at what little can actually be expunged from ones record.

757driver

Please Read Again!

I don't think you read my post properly...so, here goes again:

I was NOT convicted of anything!!!!! The charge was dropped and the case dismissed. It was a misdemeanor charge for which I pled "not guilty".
Why was I given NV Revised Statutues pertaining to sealing of records by the court bailiff on dissmisal of the case then?????

I simply do not trust the system as I have heard too many "horror" stories of the judicial system failing in this respect. Once again, I was not found guilty, was not convicted and am INNOCENT. That is why the judge dismissed the case in the first place.

Now, I am having extreme difficulties getting a job - that is not fair and neither is it justice!!

Thank you !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">