• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tomycheri

IS IT AN ILLEGAL SEARCH IF THE POLICE ARE DOING A PAT DOWN AND I'M NOT IN CUFFS CAN HE THEN GO INTO MY POCKETS AND TAKE OUT ITEMS THAT ARE NOT WEAPONS BEFORE HE HANDCUFFS ME?AND ISN'T A FEMALE COP SUPPOSE TO PAT DOWN A WOMEN AND NOT A MALE COP ESPECIALLY WHEN A FEMALE COP IS PRESENT?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

As to female cop versus male cop, no such rule I know of.

As to pat down (known as terry stop), cops can pat a person down if they have reasonable suspicion to believe you are carrying weapons and/or fear for their safety.

IF they feel something that feels like a weapon, they can take it out of your pocket. If it happens to be drugs, you are busted. Why? Because the initial stop was valid.

Is there reason to believe the initial stop was invalid? Were you just walking along? Are you identified as a potential gang banger? Do you fit a profile?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">