• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second degree homicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

live4christp27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi/Tennessee

My ex husband (we have children together) was killed on a hit and run in MS. It was later determined through confession of the suspect that it was intentional. The kids and I reside in TN. I asked the DA office if we needed an attorney and they said no. Is this correct?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi/Tennessee

My ex husband (we have children together) was killed on a hit and run in MS. It was later determined through confession of the suspect that it was intentional. The kids and I reside in TN. I asked the DA office if we needed an attorney and they said no. Is this correct?
For the Criminal portion...No you do not. Unless you just want to clarify the process. If you plan on filing a Civil Suit the you would have to hire an attorney to represent your child in this action.

live4christp27

For the Criminal portion...No you do not. Unless you just want to clarify the process. If you plan on filing a Civil Suit the you would have to hire an attorney to represent your child in this action.
Thank you! I'm not sure what the purpose of a civil suit would be or accomplish.

Just Blue

Thank you! I'm not sure what the purpose of a civil suit would be or accomplish.
I don't either. But based on the OP of this thread I wasn't quite clear what you wanted. The Criminal Case from the death of your CHILDRENS Father is being handled by the State (DA).

Anything else (Civil) would be handled by the next of kin. That would by his wife (if he had one) or adult child.

I am very sorry for the loss of your children's father...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It could possibly get your children some financial security or a judgment for such. Wrongful death. Or other torts are a possibility. But if the murderer has no assets it might be a lesson in futility.

FlyingRon

You should see if the area has a victim's advocate. They can keep you informed of the status of the prosecution if such is occuring. Absent being run down by someone of tremendous means, a civil suit may not be overly useful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">