• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Secretly Recording Video at the Work Place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

littlehideko

What is the name of your state? California
This is the situation.... A few weeks ago a personal item was taken off my desk. My desk is in an open part of the office where anyone can see everything. I asked everyone, there's like 8 people working at the company I work at, if they knew anything about the said missing item. Answer was no. We are a company that does video survallence for other companys and there are extra cameras around. So i set one up pointing at my desk. All it shows is my desk against a wall, with back of my computer monitor showing and my chair. It is motion detective and It ended up video taping a person/persons messing around at my desk. No one knew I was taping but the cameras are in full sight of the whole office. Not hidden under anything just out in the open. By the way there is no audio to the tapes.

In California, what are the restrictions on secretly video recording potential malicious activity at the work place?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Have you asked your employer about this? They may have a BIG say in this issue, and you could find yourself terminated for doing so.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">