• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self-defense law.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaisanPrincess

Nebraska.

I only caught a clip of CSI where this guy with a gun came in through the window of this room that had a woman in it. Somehow through a struggle she got a hold of the gun and ended up shooting the guy when he charged at her. She was charged and arrested for homicide.

I don't think they showed her having a trial or conviction, but still, I don't get it. Sure, the guy was unarmed, and she was armed, but if he'd charged her he'd have the gun back no problem; The girl would no doubt be dead instead. I understand there are probably a lot of variables involved with a self-defense case, but is this pretty realistic in some states or even everywhere? I know CSI is pretty liberal with their fiction.

It just bugged me because there's this very dangerous, very large man who isn't quite all there, and I have criminal charges against him. It would suck to be in that position--life in prison or death.
What do you guys think/know?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's silly to debate nonsense seen on television shows. You would certainly be allowed to defend yourself if you reasonably felt that physical force or deadly physical force was about to be used against you.

Why don't you take the time to research your state's laws on the use of physical force and deadly physical force?

PaisanPrincess

It's silly to debate nonsense seen on television shows. You would certainly be allowed to defend yourself if you reasonably felt that physical force or deadly physical force was about to be used against you.

Why don't you take the time to research your state's laws on the use of physical force and deadly physical force?
I actually have, which is kind of why it surprised me. I figured that would be a reasonably imminent threat to life. I also know in Nebraska that you're not obliged to flee your home. It just bothered me; I saw it, and it struck me as if you're a small female up against a huge, crazy guy, you're just SOL..

Last edited:

happybug

I actually have, which is kind of why it surprised me. I figured that would be a reasonably imminent threat to life. I also know in Nebraska that you're not obliged to flee your home. It just bothered me; I saw it, and it struck me as if you're a small female up against a huge, crazy guy, you're just SOL..
Move to Texas.

justalayman

in my state, I would have had all legal rights to put the intruder out of his misery, permanently.

under the laws previously in my state, since the guy was unarmed and I could see that fact, I would have a hard time defending using lethal force to stop him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">