• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self Defense vs. Animals...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CDuval

What is the name of your state? MA

This is more a question based on what if, rather than what has happened.

Anyway, I have a dog, a 10 y/o pitbull who I would like to take for a jog when I go out, he is getting a bit fat... plus he deserves to run too.

The problem is, people in my area also have pitbulls, and though I have not seen any running free, I have heard of them running free. I don't want my dog to fight as he is too old, but there is always a chance he will be attacked. I keep him leashed.

I have thought of getting an FID card and taking mace with me when I run, just incase... but my dog fought with another pitbull about 6 years ago and the mace did nothing at all to them.

So I think about taking a 6 inch folding blade with me, just incase... what would be the legal backlach if I were to stab someones dog for attacking my dog? Any?

Also, does having an FID card allow you to carry the mace on your person freely? I may just get the mace too, I don't want to stab a dog if I don't have to.

HomeGuru

CDuval said:

Anyway, I have a dog, a 10 y/o pitbull who I would like to take for a jog when I go out, he is getting a bit fat... plus he deserves to run too.

The problem is, people in my area also have pitbulls, and though I have not seen any running free, I have heard of them running free. I don't want my dog to fight as he is too old, but there is always a chance he will be attacked. I keep him leashed.

I have thought of getting an FID card and taking mace with me when I run, just incase... but my dog fought with another pitbull about 6 years ago and the mace did nothing at all to them.

So I think about taking a 6 inch folding blade with me, just incase... what would be the legal backlach if I were to stab someones dog for attacking my dog? Any?

Also, does having an FID card allow you to carry the mace on your person freely? I may just get the mace too, I don't want to stab a dog if I don't have to.
**A: why not just carry a shotgun?

O

oberauerdorf

I have a cat I'll loan you. He scares the hell out of two giant chows who have won fights with Coyotes but won't get near this big boy :D

Skylyn

What kind of neighborhood do you live in that you are considering carrying a knife to stab dogs? Really, if you're even thinking about this, it is time to move...

K

kcdogg

CDuval said:

Try pepper spray, as once told to me by a police officer, mace is not effective against a dog. Pepper spay not only has a stream, it also has a fine mist that surrounds the stream, so you don't have to be accurate, which is what the officer told me about mace.

Now, pepper spray will not always work on some dogs, as I was on my route delivering mail once and this one dog just kept licking the spray and it did nothing to him!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Self Defense vs. Animals...

kcdogg said:
Now, pepper spray will not always work on some dogs, as I was on my route delivering mail once and this one dog just kept licking the spray and it did nothing to him!

**A: that's because the dog eats pepper steak for dinners.

K

kcdogg

Heck the lady who owned the dog afterwards wanted me to pet her dog. I'm thinking to myself and no way, then politely decline her offer, bedsides we are not supposed to pet or feed dogs on our route. Doesn't look good if you get bit and when you go to the accident review meeting, they ask you the following:

Did you have your satchel?
Did you have your dog spray?
Did you use both of these for to prevent the dog bite?
Did you know the dog was there?

If you answer the last one "yes" you will receive discipline for committing an unsafe act! So I won't and don't pet dogs while delivering mail.

K

kcdogg

Re: Re: Re: Self Defense vs. Animals...

HomeGuru said:
kcdogg said:

**A: that's because the dog eats pepper steak for dinners.

I think that dog ate chili peppers as well!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">