• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling early 20th Century Stuffed Birds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce Davis IX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Please advise me on the legality of selling a piece from the early 20th Century. It is a glass display case containing the following stuffed birds: hummingbird, scarlet tanager, female cardinal, Baltimore oriole, and a sparrow.

This was essentially informally passed down a few generations, but my aunt would like to sell it. She was discussing it informally with someone who told her it was against the (possibly federal) law to do so.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Please advise me on the legality of selling a piece from the early 20th Century. It is a glass display case containing the following stuffed birds: hummingbird, scarlet tanager, female cardinal, Baltimore oriole, and a sparrow.

This was essentially informally passed down a few generations, but my aunt would like to sell it. She was discussing it informally with someone who told her it was against the (possibly federal) law to do so.

Thanks for any assistance with this.
Call your state Fish & Game Department...

tranquility

google (without the quotes), "sell stuffed birds federal law" and find lots of hits. I have no actual knowledge of such things, but it looks like it may be. It would certainly be worth some time in research before doing so.

FlyingRon

Most, if not all, of these birds are specfiically listed on the Migratory Birds Treaty Act (not getting into the subbreeds of Tanager and Cardinal, but the others most definitely are) and as as result the taking, possession, transportation, sale, barter, importation, and exportation are all highly restricted.

tranquility

By the way, since FlyingRon says the act prohibits possession, don't call the 800 number of the Fish and Game department when you ask.

xylene

You cannot sell any of these mounts legally.

There is virtually no exception to this.

Don't harp the Fish and Wildlife guys - as pointed out they might take interest in the mere possession.

If you are interested in not possessing these wonderful relics I would suggest discretely contacting some local people involved with the National Audubon or some other non-zealous birding / wildlife group and ask them who would be willing to take stewardship of these pieces, preferably for public benefit.

You are probably not going to get any money. :(

BTW, even if the trade were legal, these mounts are not rare and do not command much money. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">