• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seriously Annoying Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diogenescynic

What is the name of your state?
Maryland

Hello all,

I'm writing because I have some extremely annoying neighbors that I'd like to try and do something about. I'm looking for any legal means possible to deal with them and would gladly welcome any suggestions.

We live in an apartment building and said neighbors live directly above us. Since they moved in, they've been problematic as far as noise (music, extremely heavy walking) at various times of day and night. I've tried dealing with them personally, but the residents up there don't speak English very well. The one who does seem to speak a little English gets very belligerent every time I knock on their door asking them to keep the noise down.

I've already taken the various actions which I can think of. I suspect them to be illegal aliens and have already reported them to Department of Homeland Security. I've gone the written complaint route through the management of the apartment complex. I've tried calling the police.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there are no local laws regarding their behavior. The police can't do much as far as the music goes unless they're called out multiple times within a certain time frame. The rental office will probably issue written warnings, but not much else. As far as their chances of deportation, I've just been visiting several websites which give me little hope for that fact.

As I said, I'm looking for possible legal recourse, though I can't personally think of anything. Any ideas out there?

-Matt

The simple solution of all is to move out.

- Tom

diogenescynic said:
What is the name of your state?
Maryland

Hello all,

I'm writing because I have some extremely annoying neighbors that I'd like to try and do something about. I'm looking for any legal means possible to deal with them and would gladly welcome any suggestions.

We live in an apartment building and said neighbors live directly above us. Since they moved in, they've been problematic as far as noise (music, extremely heavy walking) at various times of day and night. I've tried dealing with them personally, but the residents up there don't speak English very well. The one who does seem to speak a little English gets very belligerent every time I knock on their door asking them to keep the noise down.

I've already taken the various actions which I can think of. I suspect them to be illegal aliens and have already reported them to Department of Homeland Security. I've gone the written complaint route through the management of the apartment complex. I've tried calling the police.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there are no local laws regarding their behavior. The police can't do much as far as the music goes unless they're called out multiple times within a certain time frame. The rental office will probably issue written warnings, but not much else. As far as their chances of deportation, I've just been visiting several websites which give me little hope for that fact.

As I said, I'm looking for possible legal recourse, though I can't personally think of anything. Any ideas out there?

-Matt

diogenescynic

Unfortunately, moving out isn't an option at the moment. We still have another four months left on our lease and can't afford to break it. Believe me when I say that if we could move, we would have left by now. Thanks for the idea, though.

sefnfot

1. reread your lease. see if there are any clauses that protect you from this situation. if the Landlord is breaking the law , this may provide you with the reason to break the lease.

2. locate your local housing board and laws. go to the MD state web sight and locate the housing authority section and browse the regulations. it will list landlord responsibilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">