• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving Alcohol to a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haddockje

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I just found out that my ex husband is letting my 18 year old nephew drink alcohol while at his house (my nephew lives there now). He says that as long as my nephew doesn't leave the house it is perfectly legal to serve him alcohol. This is going on when my 3 children are also at the house for the weekend. My oldest even said to me "drunk people scare me". Which concerned me. I just want to find out before I pursue this any further if in fact he is breaking the law.

acmb05

Serving alcohol to a minor is illegal.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.
Not in every state. If it is your own child. Yes I know this isn't his child but just wanted to point out that there are circumstances where you can legally give alcohol to a minor.

GatorLaw

Statutes

N.J.S.A. 2C:33-17. Offer or service of alcoholic beverage to underage person; disorderly persons; exceptions

a. Anyone who purposely or knowingly offers or serves or makes available an alcoholic beverage to a person under the legal age for consuming alcoholic beverages or entices or encourages that person to drink an alcoholic beverage is a disorderly person.

This subsection shall not apply to a parent or guardian of the person under legal age for consuming alcoholic beverages if the parent or guardian is of the legal age to consume alcoholic beverages or to a religious observance, ceremony or rite. This subsection shall also not apply to any person in his home who is of the legal age to consume alcoholic beverages who offers or serves or makes available an alcoholic beverage to a person under the legal age for consuming alcoholic beverages or entices that person to drink an alcoholic beverage in the presence of and with the permission of the parent or guardian of the person under the legal age for consuming alcoholic beverages if the parent or guardian is of the legal age to consume alcoholic beverages.

. . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">