• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance request for my father who has passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needinghelp

This is kind of an odd question, but I don't want to do anything that isn't legal.

Long story short--my father, who is deceased, worked for a company who was shipping parts here from Canada in an illegal fashion to avoid taxes. He was eventually fired with no severance because he could not cooperate with this in good conscience. I have since come across boxes of documentation and notes my father had in the attic revealing the details of this scheme. I would like to approach the owner and request severance to be paid to my mother, while revealing to him I have found some papers he may want. Can I do this?

T

Tracey

It's extortion to threaten someone with criminal charges to try to pressure them to give you money or settle a claim. BUT, it might be legal to 'mention' the items he had & request a severance package in the same conversation. This is a VERY fine line, & you'll need an employment attorney to walk it for you. Do not attempt this on your own.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

R

Ray H

Interesting. I'm NOT a lawyer. Whistle blowing is certainly not a crime, but what you propose might be construed as an attempt to extort your father's former employer. In case it backfires, there could be criminal consequences or civil action by your father's former employer in case your father misinterpreted the legality of his former employer's activies. I think you should first verify the status of your late father's concerns before initiating anything. It's even conceivable that if your father obtained company papers illegally, even if that paperwork is evidence of wrongdoing, the evidence might be legally suppressed. You need a face-to-face with a licensed attorney - not a BBS opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">