• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex crime against minor in Colorado state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

When my niece was younger (around nine to 11) and living in Colorado, she was molested for several years by a family friend who still lives there. She is now 17, and I am her legal guardian. She says she went to the police at age 11, and they took a statement, but after about three weeks they responded saying the molester denied all charges and they could not proceed.

Why might this have happened? And would this make it more difficult to re-open the case now? She currently lives in New York State.

Isis1

She needs to speak to a counselor. Immediately. It appears based on your limited information, there was no proof. Nothing to prove the claim, no social services involvement? No medical examination? No counselors involved? It's not as simple as a police report. Why did her parents not pursue the issue?

Her parents are the reason she was molested, they sent her over to spend the night with this "family friend" night after night, they are the kind of parents that have been picked up by CPS but dropped for budgetary reasons. My niece was taken from them as a child but ultimately returned due to lack of resources. I am guessing the Mom didn't pursue it strongly given that the molesting individual was a "friend" and that no counselors were involved since this family tends to keep their secrets to themselves.

I will contact some people about this, thanks. Any more advice is welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">