• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex Offender Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nessa02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.
Five years ago my now BF was charged with rape and has to register as a sex offender. He recently went to jail for failure to update his address and he gets out next month.
I was informed by his probation officer yesterday that he is to have no contact with me:mad: I questioned her on it and she said he has to finish sex offender therapy and then write a request to his therapist to be in a relationship. The therapist then either approves or disapproves and then it goes to the parole board for review and the have the final decision. I am 29 and he is 20. Is it legal to tell two adults who they can be in a relationship with? :confused: They said they would not approve me anyways because i have kids, but my BF is not a child offender, he was a child. He was 15 and the girl was 16. His probation officer stated we can not see each other, talk or write. I think this is unconstutional and wrong in many ways. We are both consenting adults. Can they legally name me in paperwork prohibitting me from seeing him even though i did not even know him at the time of the so called crime?

CourtClerk

Just so I understand this correctly. You have no problems at all with having a convicted sex offender having that much contact with your children, no matter WHO he offended, and knowing he has no regard for the law since he is currently in jail for failing to register. Reminder: you have no idea what things are being discussed in therapy, therefore, you have no idea what issues he's having, you simply know what he's telling you.

Where is the father of YOUR children?

Nessa02

Well My X-husband is in New York, and I really dont see what he has to do with this. Anyway, I believe there are certain issues to take into consideration.
1) He was 15 and she was 16
2) I have been to every court date and heard everything
3) My BF's sister has the girl on audio tape stating it was not rape, her parents made her. The judge would not take it into consideration because he could not be sure it was the so called victim
4) I am not here for your or anyone elses judgement on my life. I am her to get answers to my questions from a legal prospective.

CourtClerk

Your question:
Can they legally name me in paperwork prohibitting me from seeing him even though i did not even know him at the time of the so called crime?
Absolutely. The authorities have a duty to protect your children even if you are willing to put them in harms way because your hormones tell you to.

The reason why I asked about the father of your children is because you may want to discuss this with him. After hearing what I've heard, I would suggest to him to pursue a change in custody. That way, you'll be able to run off with your boyfriend and your children wouldn't have to cavort with a sex offender. Everyone's happy and the only one in danger is you.

Just Blue

Just so I understand this correctly. You have no problems at all with having a convicted sex offender having that much contact with your children, no matter WHO he offended, and knowing he has no regard for the law since he is currently in jail for failing to register. Reminder: you have no idea what things are being discussed in therapy, therefore, you have no idea what issues he's having, you simply know what he's telling you.

Where is the father of YOUR children?
Per Nessa02 previous postings one child's father is deceased and the other is in Virginia. Per Nessa Daddy #2 is violent so it seems she has issues with picking decent men to have around her children.

Nessa...It is very likely that the PO will contact CPS and report you for child endangerment. Prepare for that.

I am not saying this to be nasty...But you really should seek therapy to find out why you would consider having a convicted sex offender in YOUR life, never mind your CHILDREN'S lives. Rape is about power...not sexual attraction. Most rapist will attack any age group...that your children are not 16 year old girls is irrelevant. You are the mother of two defenseless children. It is your job to protect them. You are not doing your job.

Nessa02

First off do either one of you even know anything about the law? Are you a lawyer, a paralegal, or a judge? Not from what i can see. All I see is two woman with nothing better to do then bash others people lifes and issues, that come here for answers.

You say your a clerk of the court, but yet you have nothing but time to post almost 11 post a day. Just cause you are a clerk doesnt mean you know the law, it means your a paper pusher. Almost every post that either one of you have posted are negative and downgrading to the people posting. Forget my question because obviously no one on here can answer from a legal prospective, but only by there self obsorbed, unwanted opinion.

CourtClerk

First off do either one of you even know anything about the law? Are you a lawyer, a paralegal, or a judge? Not from what i can see. All I see is two woman with nothing better to do then bash others people lifes and issues, that come here for answers.
You got answers, you don't like them, but you got them.
You say your a clerk of the court, but yet you have nothing but time to post almost 11 post a day.
Yeah, I've got nothing but time. I'm on vacation this week!!!!
Just cause you are a clerk doesnt mean you know the law, it means your a paper pusher.
Really???? You put your degrees and paycheck on the wall and I'll put mine up there... let's see what sticks. Count them... 2 degrees. 2. That, and enough sense not to stick my children around convicted rapists. I have more knowledge in the law in my right hand than you have in your whole body.
Almost every post that either one of you have posted are negative and downgrading to the people posting. Forget my question because obviously no one on here can answer from a legal prospective, but only by there self obsorbed, unwanted opinion.
If you really feel like you're doing nothing wrong, discuss your plans with the father of your children.

Just Blue

You say your a clerk of the court, but yet you have nothing but time to post almost 11 post a day. Just cause you are a clerk doesnt mean you know the law, it means your a paper pusher. Almost every post that either one of you have posted are negative and downgrading to the people posting. Forget my question because obviously no one on here can answer from a legal prospective, but only by there self obsorbed, unwanted opinion.
The facts are you expose your children to a CONVICTED RAPIST. Period. Please take the time and consult with an attorney in your area to see what potential legal and custodial issues YOU CAN have from this relationship.

Sayjo

One more side note, if he meant to register but is such a procrastinator that he never got to it it is something you two need to work on immediately. On the other hand, less likely based on your tone, if he intentionally unregistered, he is not the person you make him out to be so you should reassess.

Proserpina

OP, CC and BM's advice pissed you off and you became quite defensive (which is normal when we don't hear what we want to hear) but you don't see anything wrong with exposing your children to a convicted sex offender?

Hon, the reason why you received the answers that you did is because above everything else, virtually every single responder on this forum is trying to look out for the best interests of the children.

You told your story to people who don't know you, the guy you're talking about, your kids, your ex - we have absolutely no clue who you are. And that probably makes us a little more objective. We have no agenda, we have no bias against or for you or anyone else, unless the children are involved.

Put this another way.

If strangers on the Net can become concerned about the welfare of your children, how on earth do you think a judge will respond?!

the way Op is headed, she'll be back here in a year or two asking how she can get her kids back after they're removed from her care because of the sex offender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">