• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex offender removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James924

What is the name of your state? Oregon, however, i was convicted in washington.

ON Aug 16, 1996 i was convicted on first degree child molestation, at the time i was 13. I was informed by the judge (i cant recall if it was when i turned 18 or after 10 years) that i would be able to remove this from my records. Apparently washington laws changed and i am no longer able to have this removed? After a parole violation for crossing state lines without permission i was incarcerated for 3 months, which has been my only other mark on my record.

Once i completed parole and the required treatment, i did absolutely nothing with filing as an offender (wasnt aware i still had to, assumed my parents had taken care of it) and just recently found out i was still marked as a sex offender and was required to register. I was lucky and was not arrested for registry dodging, and have since been put back into registered status.

So i am now trying to find information on how to no longer be marked as a sex offender, and perhaps have this removed from my record all together.

I have done some research, but i am not quite sure of what all applies to me, this is what i have found so far.

Washington registers juveniles and keeps records indefinitely, requiring both adult and juvenile Class A felony sex offenders to register for life, but i have seen some information that you can request for removal, and oregon allows for a request for removal after a certain period of residency.

Kentucky, Minnesota, Oregon, and Texas require offenders coming into the state to register only if they are currently on probation or parole. Since i have been living in oregon for two years, was i not required to register?

I cannot afford a lawyer currently, what paths can i take to get legal advice or assistance in this matter, and is there anything i can do on my own to get this removed? Any advice would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">