• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniagi80

What is the name of your state? Washington State

Was abused when I was 5,6 14 years old from My uncle, I'm 35 now.. he was in jail a few years ago to abuse from other niece in San Diego, Ca, after jail he was deported to Mexico but a few months ago I hear from other relative that he's is back illegal to USA, he just move to other City ..I'm in counseling now dealing with problems In my marriage related with the sexual abuse..can I still report this to the police ? This happen in San Diego now I live in WA State, thanks

Last edited:

CdwJava

The details matter. When you say "abuse," what does that mean? The term can be used to mean anything from a mild scolding to a physical beating, all the way to rape. So, what, exactly, occurred?

In general, if you are now 35 and this last happened when you were 14 (21 years since the incident and 17 or thereabouts since you turned 18), and you have not yet reported it to the police, there may well be legal walls preventing any prosecution.

Now, if he left for Mexico, there may be an opportunity there that tolled the statute of limitations, but, that depends on the details.

Even on the off chance the state CAN still pursue it, the odds of successfully prosecuting it are somewhere between slim and none. But, you lose nothing by reporting the matter to the police in the jurisdiction where it occurred. However, do not be surprised if they say there is nothing they can do since any prosecution will essentially require him to confess. AND, of course, that the SoL has somehow not passed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">