• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Assault???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Glasso

What is the name of your state? PA

My daughter graduated from high school in 1980. I recently found out that during her senior year, at the age of 17, she had a sexual affair with her history teacher that lasted several months. He was 27 at the time. He has since retired.

Can my daughter bring criminal charges against this man at this time? Also, can she bring a civil suit against him?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

The statute of limitations for both civil and criminal charges probably ran several decades ago.

However, have her check with the prosecutor and hire a civil attorney to examine the facts and decide whether there is a case.

CdwJava

Why? As SJ said, the SOL has almost certainly tolled. Why open up these memories after 26 years?

Besides, all he has to do is say it never happened, and the case wouldn't go anywhere.

Note: A quick read of the law in PA finds that the civil SOL expired two years after her 18th birthday and that the criminal statute expired 5 years after her 18th birthday.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">