• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual harassment..?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcrary3

Hello all. I am new to this forum.

I'll skip the pleasantries and jump right to the chase.

Okay, so I am a student in a small school in Wisconsin, I am a male, so this doesn't directly pertain to me as much; however, I have a teacher who has been making very crude comments to some of the girls in my class for the last year and a half, now earlier this week it was reported to our dean, however other staff members more or less blew it off today after talking to two of the students, saying that he cannot help it because he is "socially awkward" now, I know if he were saying more suggestive sexual comments to the girls in question there is no doubt in my mind that he would be terminated, but he hasn't exactly make any direct sexual comments. Much of what has been happening is he enjoys looking down girls shirts (girls as young as 13 & 14) he also pays a little too much attention to their backsides (bums). I don't know if that could be considered illegal...? Mind you he is 47. This just seems directly inappropriate. He has also made comments to some of the girls, all of which I do not know, but one that I did hear him say (to two young girls and myself) is "When I think about you, I touch myself" and he chuckled and walked away, claiming that it was part of a song. Is there anything we can do about this?

Thanks all! Please help!

Proserpina

Okay, so I am a student in a small school in Wisconsin, I am a male, so this doesn't directly pertain to me as much; however, I have a teacher who has been making very crude comments to some of the girls in my class for the last year and a half, now earlier this week it was reported to our dean, however other staff members more or less blew it off today after talking to two of the students, saying that he cannot help it because he is "socially awkward" now, I know if he were saying more suggestive sexual comments to the girls in question there is no doubt in my mind that he would be terminated, but he hasn't exactly make any direct sexual comments. Much of what has been happening is he enjoys looking down girls shirts (girls as young as 13 & 14) he also pays a little too much attention to their backsides (bums). I don't know if that could be considered illegal...? Mind you he is 47. This just seems directly inappropriate. He has also made comments to some of the girls, all of which I do not know, but one that I did hear him say (to two young girls and myself) is "When I think about you, I touch myself" and he chuckled and walked away, claiming that it was part of a song. Is there anything we can do about this?

Thanks all! Please help!
What happened when you shared your concerns with HR?

Bcrary3

What happened when you shared your concerns with HR?
Unfortunately I was unable to partake in the meeting today about it with two of the other students, but to my understanding the other staff members essentially said there was nothing they could do about it and chalked it up to him being "socially awkward"

I do not believe it has been reported to any member outside of our school (e.g superintendent or school board)

OHRoadwarrior

Looking at what they choose to display openly is not illegal. The joke in college was the girls wearing short skirts with no panties. He could probably exercise better judgment with double entendres but that does not seem illegal either.

In Walmart with friends one day, a you girl was obviously, openly displaying her bulging assets. The male friend stopped, gave her a pretend look of astonishment and asked her if she has a license for those things. The adults present thought it humorous and entirely fitting.

quincy

Thanks all! Please help!
Have any of you told your parents?

Proserpina

Looking at what they choose to display openly is not illegal. The joke in college was the girls wearing short skirts with no panties. He could probably exercise better judgment with double entendres but that does not seem illegal either.

In Walmart with friends one day, a you girl was obviously, openly displaying her bulging assets. The male friend stopped, gave her a pretend look of astonishment and asked her if she has a license for those things. The adults present thought it humorous and entirely fitting.

Right, but this is a person of authority. It does change it a bit.

Bcrary3

What raises questions though is that he is an adult staff member making crude and sexually suggestive comments to minors.

According to the (Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972) American Public School Law I feel as if this could potentially fall under the second type of sexual harassment listed "Hostile environment, encompasses behaviour that causes the educational environment to become hostile, offensive, or intimidating to the student as a result of the harassment," p. 368 (Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972)

I believe this to be true as it is now causing a disrupting, and causing female students to be afraid of being near the man.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, rudeness is always amusing and fitting... :rolleyes:

OHRoadwarrior

You only cited one incident of perceived harassment. There is a big difference.

What raises questions though is that he is an adult staff member making crude and sexually suggestive comments to minors.

According to the American Public School Law I feel as if this could potentially fall under the second type of sexual harassment listed "Hostile environment, encompasses behaviour that causes the educational environment to become hostile, offensive, or intimidating to the student as a result of the harassment," p. 368

I believe this to be true as it is now causing a disrupting, and causing female students to be afraid of being near the man.

I'mTheFather

What are you hoping for?

Since you're concerned, you should encourage your parents to contact the principal, and encourage the girls to tell their parents. That's about all you can do.

Bcrary3

What are you hoping for?

Since you're concerned, you should encourage your parents to contact the principal, and encourage the girls to tell their parents. That's about all you can do.
All I am hoping for is for someone to take students seriously. I have informed my parents, some of the others have also, their parents do not believe them unfortunately.

Would it be at all helpful to collect further evidence and report back to the other staff members in hope that they will take this seriously as they should? If they don't would we be able to (without help) be able to report this to the school board in hopes that they look into this issue?

Bcrary3

You are a nice writer, Bcrary3. The school is, at least, doing something right.

Being "socially awkward" is not a very good excuse for the behavior exhibited by your teacher. It seems highly inappropriate to me.

Stand by for those who know far more than I about sexual harassment and education law.
Thank you, Quincy, I do try. Haha, hopefully it will one day benefit me to get into law school! :)

I am curious to know if being "Socially awkward" is even a valid excuse.... it would seem to me that if you are socially awkward, teaching is NOT the right career path for you.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">