• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sholifting punishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryanc2112

south carolina, this past saturday i was caught shoplifting a necklace from a store at the mall. i was arrested and i have to go to court sometime but dont know when. the neckalce cost about 8 dollars and i as wondering what would probably be the punishment for it??

HomeGuru

ryanc2112 said:
south carolina, this past saturday i was caught shoplifting a necklace from a store at the mall. i was arrested and i have to go to court sometime but dont know when. the neckalce cost about 8 dollars and i as wondering what would probably be the punishment for it??
**A: so I see you made a bad judgment call. Was it all worth the 8 bucks?

R

ryanc2112

yes it was, and it was a bad judgment call but do u know the punishment that might happen?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

At the very least, you should serve time in jail - - just for bad taste!

I mean, if you're going to steal a necklace, why waste your time on a Cracker Jacks toy? What about pearls or diamonds? At least with either of those, and if you get caught, no one will be laughing at you - - like I am!

What a moron!

IAAL

JETX

Simply, no one KNOWS what you might get. It depends on too many unknown factors, such as the mood of the judge, the 'community standards', etc. even including whether it is an election year or not (and whether the prosecutor needs to make an 'example').

I can say that the crime of shoplifting in SC falls under the following:
"SECTION 16-13-110. Shoplifting.
(A) A person is guilty of shoplifting if he:
(1) takes possession of, carries away, transfers from one person to another or from one area of a store or other retail mercantile establishment to another area, or causes to be carried away or transferred any merchandise displayed, held, stored, or offered for sale by any store or other retail mercantile establishment with the intention of depriving the merchant of the possession, use, or benefit of the merchandise without paying the full retail value;
(2) alters, transfers, or removes any label, price tag marking, indicia of value, or any other markings which aid in determining value affixed to any merchandise displayed, held, stored, or offered for sale in a store or other retail mercantile establishment and attempts to purchase the merchandise personally or in consort with another at less than the full retail value with the intention of depriving the merchant of the full retail value of the merchandise;
(3) transfers any merchandise displayed, held, stored, or offered for sale by any store or other retail mercantile establishment from the container in which it is displayed to any other container with intent to deprive the merchant of the full retail value.

(B) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a:
(1) misdemeanor triable in magistrate's court and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days if the value of the shoplifted merchandise is one thousand dollars or less;"
Source: http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t16c013.htm

With the above, and though it is unlikely, you COULD face up to $500 in fines OR up to $500 in fines.

One thing in your favor though... SC law (§15-75-40) does not allow BOTH criminal complaint AND civil recovery by the merchant. They get one or the other.

The civil restitution statute (§15-75-40) can be found at:
http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t15c075.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">