• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shooting?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobs-nightmare

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Alright well a while ago I was at a friends, friend house whos name will be Fred. Well at Freds house we went around shootin stuff with his BB gun. Then we got a bit drunk at his nieghbors and went shootin again and we ended up shootin signs/lights at this moderatly busy intersection. We took turns and took a break hidin behind this wall. About what seemed like 3-5 mins later a car pulled right up to the wall with a rear broken window, Fred and I ran into his house were he placed the blame on me seeing I was the last to shoot.

Being much more gulable while drunk I convinced myself it was me, even though I did not recall shooting a car (I was slightly drunk, not waisted). The people of the car called the police who came to his house. Before the police arrived Fred convinced his 13yr old brother Jim to take the blame. The police came in while I stayed quite in another room, took some information from Jim and left. I then agreed to pay whatever fine he recieved in court. 5 months go by with me not speaking to Fred, I get a call from the police saying Jim changed his story and is saying I did it. I then asked what would happen if I confessed, and they said Id probaly pay a fine and get a misdomeenor.

Yet the fact that I wasnt sure I did it left me saying I wasnt sure and proceeded to say what happened, I even said Fred was shooting with me and not Jim, before now I did not even know Freds little brothers name so I assumed that the more proper name the officer was saying was infact Freds real name and assumed that Fred admitted to being one of the ones shooting, but this was not the case, the police now thought that it was I and Jim shooting. So the officer then told me he would talk to the judge and see how they would do this. Being that I was months from being 18, which I now am 18. Another month went by, until Fred called me saying I must call the police and confess because his brother Jim was about to go to court.

He claimed if his brother was convicted of this he would go to jail because of other things he had since did. I did not call and about a month later I got a supiena to testify as a witness of the state against Jim. The day before I was to go to court I recieved a call saying I will not be needed. Now I have recieved another letter from the state summoning me to court as the state/plaintiff VS me in a few weeks.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I just take the blame or say well Im not sure I did it, but I can tell you that Jim was not shooting with me, it was his older brother Fred.

What should I do? I'll be happy if I can avoid a felony.

S

seniorjudge

bobs-nightmare said:
I plan to. In the mean time, what would you see as the best/worst case scenario??
Worst case: Jail
Best case: You are found not guilty after a jury trial.

Have a hefty wad of restitution money and tell the judge you would rather spend that dough on the restitution rather than a lawyer and if you get probation, you can pay that wad of dough on restitution that day.

bobs-nightmare

seniorjudge said:
Worst case: Jail
Best case: You are found not guilty after a jury trial.

Have a hefty wad of restitution money and tell the judge you would rather spend that dough on the restitution rather than a lawyer and if you get probation, you can pay that wad of dough on restitution that day.
??? I'm confused, first you tell me to get a lawyer then you tell me not to??
So you say worst case jail!?!! but if I just didnt get the lawyer and took the blame would I not get jail time? And if I do admit do I have a better chance at a misdomeener or a felony? Also you say jury trial? I'm not positive, but I believe the hearing Im going to is just a Judge. Are you saying if I got a lawyer and attempted to fight it this would go to a jury? And if I did fight it and lost would this increase my sentence wieght? You also say have the restitution money that day? I was under the impression that you had time to pay and didnt have to pay the day of the case, am I wrong? Whats the difference between paying the day of and later?

bobs-nightmare

One more thing, the next day the guy with the broken window came to Freds house went to his door and cursed and said your house is gonna be under attack! Can this be used against them at all?

S

seniorjudge

bobs-nightmare said:
??? I'm confused, first you tell me to get a lawyer then you tell me not to??
I gave you two scenarios. If you want to get a lawyer, go for it. If not, try the other scenario.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">