• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shooting / gunshots during night

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stewart4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
Are there any laws against discharge of firearms in rural residential areas?

The neighbor's teenagers have started shooting guns during the night at their drinking party, in which all the gang members drive in for. The fastest discharge rate is 4 per second.

I assume our county does not have noise ordinances, so is there anything left to stop this disturbing behavior?

I dread to think they have found something that annoys the neighborhood without breaking the law.

las365

Are they using some kind of noisemakers that sound like guns? Or are they shooting guns in a residential neighborhood? Whay are you assuming the only law that might apply to that is a noise ordinance?

I, too, would like to know what the police did after you called them to report the gunshots.

stewart4

Yes I did. The sheriff who I talked to said it is completely legal to hunt and shoot in this county. Even at night. As long as they are shooting safely. He would have to see proof that they are unsafe.
I imagine that could only be bullet holes.

A clarification, residential for here is 10 acre lots. Very rural.

Therefore, if I file a report and an officer contacts the neighbors, they will know it bothers me and do it more.

Just like with my horse they crippled in December, they act like they think they are above the law. Unless I take it to court and have more money than they do, to play the legal games they want to.

Last edited:

outonbail

Rather than time how many rounds per minute they discharge, I suggest you invest in a video camera and record their activities, with the time and date on the screen shot when you do this.

When you have enough footage of them acting recklessly, then approach the local sheriff in person to discuss the issue and your concerns of retaliation.

I get the feeling that you have phoned the sheriff on numerous occasions in the past to complain about this neighbor. You don't want to continuously call the sheriff over every little thing that upsets you. When you do this, the sheriff tends to lose interest in your never ending, never happy situation. Eventually they will see you as the troublemaker.

So make sure you have indisputable proof of any dangerous activities you claim your neighbor to be guilty of. Then go to the station in person and speak to the police. Your phone calls are obviously becoming a low priority issue.

stewart4

You're right the last 10 months have blossomed into having plenty to report. That is one reason I wanted to ask here First, if this seems like a problem worth reporting (an actual violation), or just another nuisance to try to ignore.

As far as cameras go, I do have that in mind already, but just lacking 24/7 surveilance that catches something before I can grab for camera, and find the action done until after I give up or go back to sleep. It is also hard to get any useful pictures during the night.

I even have successful video of (one of) them going 61 in a 30 zone. Sheriff still can't do anything but warn them, as he must see the violation for himself. This tends to be a discouraging factor.

msiron

Shooting firearms/hunting at NIGHT in the dark and you can't even come close to seeing what your shooting at unless it was underfoot, is actually allowed?

stewart4

Shooting firearms/hunting at NIGHT in the dark and you can't even come close to seeing what your shooting at unless it was underfoot, is actually allowed?
I do believe that sums up My question. How can I find out if this is true for Ferry county in WA state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">