• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifing? Civil Demand - have I been charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Manda4076

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Ok, so I made a very poor frazzled mistake in Macy's. I'll try to set the scene but make it short & sweet. I had a $25 gift cert to Macy's that expired today. Only had a short time to run in use it, go to bath & body and be home to my fiance by 8pm. I got panicky bc I walked around Macy's 5 or 6 times and couldn't find anything. Picked up sunglasses thought i'd get if i can't find anything. Ended up going to housewears and picked out nice sheets on sale. On my way back noticed a cute shirt thought i'd try on went to the dressing room with my sheets, glasses and shirt. While i was trying it on my phone rang, couldn't find it so I dumped my purse out. After realizing it was almost 8 and I still had to go to B&BW I said screw it I'll just get the sheets and without thinking threw everything in my purse (incl sunglasses), didn't even realize I did it. Got out ran like hell to pay for my sheets and scooted to B&BW. As I paid for my purchase there I noticed the sunglasses and thought OH **** you idiot, but I had to go back through Macy's sol I figured I'd take them to counter and get them anyway since I felt guilty I left with them. The loss prevention lady basically atttacked me outside B&BW's and made me go to the back office, I tried to explain I made a mistake rushing and didn't realize it till I got to other store. After listening they decided that since the glasses were $76, I had to pay a $150 civil demand fine + sunglasses. totaling $226. They told me by signing that they were not going to press charges, but I would be banned from all Macy's, and then I was free to go after that was paid.

I am like in a major panic....is this going to be on my record? I was never charged with anything and they told me if I signed the Civil Demand release and paid the fine I was released.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">