• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplift question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clockwork5

What is the name of your state Indiana

ok so I got caught shoplifting about two weeks ago. Today I received a letter in the mail saying I had too pay X amount to the stores lawyer and it was civil. My question to the community is, will there be a court date or hering for this on the state side? I have not been appointed one yet nor did I ever go to jail. Every answer helps, thanks. The total Amt of products was 160 dollars

Last edited:

Isis1

What is the name of your state Indiana

ok so I got caught shoplifting about two weeks ago. Today I received a letter in the mail saying I had too pay X amount to the stores lawyer and it was civil. My question to the community is, will there be a court date or hering for this on the state side? I have not been appointed one yet nor did I ever go to jail. Every answer helps, thanks.
you know, i made a few calls via pm. i can't seem to locate who has the crystal ball. last i heard it's been to jamaica. but it's left and moved on.

so i am unable to tell you if there will ever be a court date. or a hearing.

so far, what you have recieved is a civil demand. you are being requested to pay the amount. now, the company still has the option to file a report with the police department, the police department then hands the case over to the DA's office. the DA's office then decides where or not to press charges.

if you decide to NOT pay the civil demand, the company will almost for sure file the police report and they can request the DA to tack on their fees to the restitution you will be ordered to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">