• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

webguy2000

Need help in Houston,tx

I was buying video games from this guy at work we both work at target. I ask him where he got the games form he say a friend and he told me that he was bring the games into the store. So I did not think he was taking them form the store, but today they had told us he was. Well today 4-7-2004 they call us up to talk about that. I got fired, but i never took any thing form that store. When i would get the games he would put it in a locker at work and I got the games. So they had me on tape taking the games but I did not think they were form the store. Im 24 years old. I want to know what to expect when i go to court what im going to get. This my frist offens. So I dont know whats going to happen. Can any one tell me please. Thank for taking the time to read this. Hope to get replys soon.

P.S And can anyone tell me if its going to stay on my record for ever and the amount of the games was 139.00 that i have to pay back to the store..... And what kind of felony is it going to be? Thank you.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

webguy2000 said:
Need help in Houston,tx

I was buying video games from this guy at work we both work at target. I ask him where he got the games form he say a friend and he told me that he was bring the games into the store. So I did not think he was taking them form the store, but today they had told us he was. Well today 4-7-2004 they call us up to talk about that. I got fired, but i never took any thing form that store. When i would get the games he would put it in a locker at work and I got the games. So they had me on tape taking the games but I did not think they were form the store. Im 24 years old. I want to know what to expect when i go to court what im going to get. This my frist offens. So I dont know whats going to happen. Can any one tell me please. Thank for taking the time to read this. Hope to get replys soon.

P.S And can anyone tell me if its going to stay on my record for ever and the amount of the games was 139.00 that i have to pay back to the store..... And what kind of felony is it going to be? Thank you.

My response:

First, the word is "from", not "form" - - as in "they were from the store."

Second, since you say you did not commit any crimes, then when you get into court, you should be set free.

Third, if you want to be HONEST with us, and stop bullshi**ing us, then we may be able to help you.

IAAL

cf6-80c2

Possesion of stolen property is a crime whether you knew they were stolen or not. Depending on whether or not the DA has a short man syndrome.

I am quite suprised at the restraint exhibited by IAAL to the point I don't know what to think as sarcasm has many places in this post.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cf6-80c2 said:
I am quite suprised at the restraint exhibited by IAAL to the point I don't know what to think as sarcasm has many places in this post.

=====================================

My response:

I'm a complicated person. Sometimes my sarcasm is obvious, and other times, it's hidden with only a slight "touch" to keep you wondering "is it, or isn't it?"

I was waiting for this Yahoo to write back so I could blast him back to the Ozarks.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cf6-80c2 said:
I live right by the ozarks and I can assure you we already have plenty.

======================================

My response:

The Ozarks will just have to make room for one more, and "webguy2000", right along with his stupid, sorry-ass, story are on their way.

IAAL

cf6-80c2

Ok Ok
We've got room, whats one more squirrel without a home.
How come this forum don't have spell check?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cf6-80c2 said:
How come this forum don't have spell check?

========================================

My response:

Because we have to cater to the lowest common denominator in this country - - the Hillbilly deadbeats!

Spell checkers are too difficult for them to learn, and when they do learn, we wind up having to retrain them after they take a 10 minute coffee break.

IAAL

cf6-80c2

hillbilly deadbeat.. lancaster prom queen
Its all pink on the inside

I may rely on spell check but I can still drive the ball 300+

Q

Qboncom

Since it doesnt appear that anyone really answered your question, I'll take a shot at it.

First, taking the merchandise outside of the store is a crime, even if you didnt know it was stolen. Just hiding the merchandise inside your coat is a crime, without walking out. Possession of stolen property.

Second, The crime if/when your found guilty is not a felony, its a Misdemeanor because it hasnt reached the limit of $500

You will most likely be slapped with a fine, some community service, however I would attempt to fight it if your telling the truth. Was anyone aware you were buying these ahead of time? If so, take them to court with you to testify on your behalf. If not, try to prove you've actually paid for them if you can. Checks, or at the very least show you withdrew money from the bank on the day that you bought them. You will still most likely be found guilty of Possession of stolen property but its worth a shot.

One final hope, if you actually werent actually arrested, and they just asked you to sign papers, you probably wont be called to court.

I believe the fine is $100 + the cost of the merchandise meaning $239.00 but that varies I'm assuming by location.

Chuck it up: Lets face it, taking merchandise out of the store was a bad choice, even if the merchandise was brought in to buy legally. If the store sells what you are buying it never should of been brought into the store because there was a potential of being accused, even if you didnt steal it.

Final note: I'm not an attorney so consider the above, but dont "quote" then. They are just things that might happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">