• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dlemon

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have seventeen year old that was caught shoplifting and would like to know if there is something we should do other than plead guilty and wait until she is 21 for the misdemeanor to be removed from her record. The merchandise was less than $150, and she has never been in other trouble.

thanks in advance

K

Kaz the Minotau

You as a parent should make your daughter take responsibility for her actions. Does she admit to taking the items?

D

Dlemon

she is actually trying to do this without our help. Her plan is to plead guilty and she is aware that it will stay on her record until she is 21. she just now is sharing all of the information with us because she wanted to "take responsibility" on her own. I offered in turn to find out what I could about such situations to see if there is something that can be done at this point to mitigate things and minimize impact to her (getting a job, etc).

JETX

Lets look at your concerns:

1) Record: Assuming that she is charged as a juvenile, that record will be sealed. As such, once she becomes 18, this incident should have little chance of causing future problems. In the event that she decides to do this again, as an adult, the existence of the juvenile record could be considered. As you can see, it is imperative that she learn from this.

2) Job: The juvenile record won't affect her job prospects. As a juvenile, it won't be visible, so any negotiations or concerns about its immediate impact are minimal. The real concern her is employer recommendations.... and her admission has already been noted... and impact made. There is nothing that can be done about that... except to accept that it will likely impact any immediate job prospects.

3) Liability: The criminal aspect (#1 above) is only one concern. The other will be that, depending on the merchant, in the next few weeks or so, you will probably get a demand letter for 'civil damages' from the merchant. Texas statutes (and most other states) allow the merchant to not only recover the value of the property taken, but also to recover their 'reasonable costs' that they incur in maintaining store security (personnel, cameras, anti-theft tags, etc.).

4) Lesson learned: Sounds to me like she is the responsible party here. Apparently, she recognizes that she was wrong and is willing to be responsible for her actions. With 'todays kids', that is something to commend her for. She is showing that she understand right from wrong, she did an incorrect thing and is willing to accept the consequences of her actions. That is a rare commodity in todays "I am a victim" mentality. Be sure to praise her maturity while noting disappointment for her actions.

D

Dlemon

thank you very much for the response. although an over used statement I'm sure - she is a wonderful young lady - a really good kid - that messed up big time and she knows it.

I do get the impression however that she isn't considered a juvenile in this - is that possible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">