• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BaSICCally

What is the name of your state? Washington State

The question I have is I was terminated from my job(grocery store). The reason I was fired is because I used a invaild phone number which accessed the "club" card for customers who did not have a "club card" or who forgot theirs. So the security department caught on and upon their questioning I confessed to "hooking" up another co-worker with beer. I would charge the worker for one beer and not for the other. So I signed a confession stating my knowledge of the estimation of how much I made the company loose.

So when they questioned my co-worker, he gave an balloned estimation. Because it was so balloned they decided to go with his testimony and make me pay my ex co-workers estimated number, of how much beer I actully "hooked up" for him.

So they sent me the Demand Letter requesting I pay $2,398.60. A number which is WAY above my knowledge of how much I lost the company and how much I guesstimated in my signed confession.

Under the State Law(RCW 4.24.230) it says; "An adult or emancipated minor who takes possession of any goods, wares, or merchandise displayed or offered for sale by any wholesale or retaile store or other mercantile establishment without consent of the owner or seller, and with the intention of converting such goods, wares, or merchandise to his own us without having paid the purchase price thereof shall be liable to actual damages...

So my question is...Can the company in which I worked for make me pay for something in which I never took possesion of or ever used for my own use?

stephenk

sure. you were part of the conspiracy to steal the beer. you let your friend take the beer without paying. you are equally responsible for the loss as your friend.

JETX

"Can the company in which I worked for make me pay for something in which I never took possesion of or ever used for my own use?"
*** Yes.

And the reason that the 'payment demand' is higher than you claim was stolen is that the merchant can assess a higher amount to help defray his costs of security, cameras, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">