• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MIKECUP

what is the name of your state? new york
my 15 year old daughter caught shoplifting. The store did not press charges but have pursued civil action for $200. Should I fight it? Most likely would go to small claimsi if I refuse to pay but would it be worth it to them to go to court? I thought of having my daughter write a letter of apology, and I would also write to them asking them to reconsider. thanks.

enjay

Have your daughter pay the $200 from her own money. She's very fortunate the store didn't press criminal charges, and a letter of apology will teach her nothing.

R

rammmrod

Courts and corporations DO NOT accept apoligies...they accept CASH ONLY!

That would be the most important lesson for your daughter to learn.

JETX

"Should I fight it?"
*** On what grounds?? Your post makes no mention of this being a false accusation. And since the shoplifting charge was valid (presumably), the merchant has the right to take civil action to recover their expenses (security, cameras, etc.) by state law. Any challenge on your part will only increase the costs (for attorney fees, filing, interest, etc.).

For more on the Civil Recovery statute for New York, go to:
http://www.civildemand.net/statutes/newyork.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">