• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redhatsony

Shoplifting, petty theft

Hi,
I am caught while shoplifting an item which is less than $10. They didn't call the police. It is told me that I cannot go to that store for 1 year. They took a pic of me. I don't remember if they took my fingerprints.They sent me a mail which says that I should pay $150 . I paid that.

Now I am planning to go to Canada. Do they refuse my visa request? Is it shown in my criminal records? By the way, I don't have SSN. I am here with student's spouse visa(f2).

I will be very glad if you give some information to me.
Thanks for ANY help

Last edited:

calatty

Since you weren't even arrested, the offense will not be on your record and will not affect your ability to get a visa.

O

okamsrazor

Sounds like she was arrested to me. The store had her sign a written confession, they probably turned that over to the police who sent her a ticket in the mail. She signed it and paid the $150. The ticket is technically an arrest. She never went to court to challenge it and I can not imagine the store simply sending out a $150 ticket on their own.

J

Jerbee99

Pretty smart of them if they did... wouldn't that be illegal, though?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">