• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apologies

I am an adult and got caught for shoplifting in Oregon at a Bi-Mart store. I picked up two small items worth around $30, and was stopped by the store security when I stepped outside the store, I handed over the items to the security when asked. I was detained at the store for questioning and later handed over to the police, taken to jail for processing and released after 8 hours. This is my first offence and I just acted on impulse and without thinking – very stupid and low thing to do, but I did it and now want to make it right. I do not have any criminal/police record, have been a good citizen, but this will probably change all that.
I have a court date in a weeks time and would want to know my options. I took an initiative to take a Theft Talk class which talks about theft and how if affects the people we steal from. I also did consult an attorney, and he advised for me to do a civil restitution - but was not sure if the store will accept it.
I would like to know if I go to the court and plead guilty, say I am sorry, write an apology letter to the store and say that I have taken this class, what are my chances? Would an attorney be able to do something different for me if I hire one? Please help as I am really scared and this is causing me sleepless nights.

Thanks!

user55667

theft

Read this thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=230839

Also, by taking the theft class, it will look like an admission to guilt. But it seems like you intend on pleading guilty anyway. So you do not need a lawyer, if it is your first offense, you will just get the minimum sentence of fines + probation + community service or taking another class.

HomeGuru

apologies said:
I am an adult and got caught for shoplifting in Oregon at a Bi-Mart store. I picked up two small items worth around $30, and was stopped by the store security when I stepped outside the store, I handed over the items to the security when asked. I was detained at the store for questioning and later handed over to the police, taken to jail for processing and released after 8 hours. This is my first offence and I just acted on impulse and without thinking – very stupid and low thing to do, but I did it and now want to make it right. I do not have any criminal/police record, have been a good citizen, but this will probably change all that.
I have a court date in a weeks time and would want to know my options. I took an initiative to take a Theft Talk class which talks about theft and how if affects the people we steal from. I also did consult an attorney, and he advised for me to do a civil restitution - but was not sure if the store will accept it.
I would like to know if I go to the court and plead guilty, say I am sorry, write an apology letter to the store and say that I have taken this class, what are my chances? Would an attorney be able to do something different for me if I hire one? Please help as I am really scared and this is causing me sleepless nights.

Thanks!
**A: shouldn't a Bi-Mart store be located in San Francisco?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">