• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minhkolenda

What is the name of your state? Texas

I really need some help on this...I was caught shoplifting and I don't know what to do. This is my first offense and I don't have any prior records of anything. I stole a wallet for $118 and I have no idea if it'll be a misdemeanor. I guess I've seen my best friend steal all the time and I decided to try it. I am a good citizen that has done community service, donated blood as soon as I weighed enough, and I've even donated money even when I was broke. I don't want to be judged as a bad person for stealing. I'm just really scared right now. I haven't even told my husband because I can't look at him without wanting to cry. I just want to know what I need and what I can expect. Do I need a lawyer? Or is a PD just as good? Will I go to jail? I'm just lost. What's next? Please help me.I made a stupid mistake and since it happened, I've been feeling guilty and depressed.

HomeGuru

minhkolenda said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I really need some help on this...I was caught shoplifting and I don't know what to do. This is my first offense and I don't have any prior records of anything. I stole a wallet for $118 and I have no idea if it'll be a misdemeanor. I guess I've seen my best friend steal all the time and I decided to try it.

**A: then your choice of friends like that shows your true character.
I am a good citizen that has done community service, donated blood as soon as I weighed enough, and I've even donated money even when I was broke. I don't want to be judged as a bad person for stealing. I'm just really scared right now. I haven't even told my husband because I can't look at him without wanting to cry. I just want to know what I need and what I can expect. Do I need a lawyer? Or is a PD just as good? Will I go to jail? I'm just lost. What's next? Please help me.I made a stupid mistake and since it happened, I've been feeling guilty and depressed.
**A: what did the retail store say to you? Did they call the police? Was there a police report made or did the store handle things on their own?

Last edited:

minhkolenda

It was on a military installation at an Army Air Force Exchange store. They handed me over to the MPs but since I'm a civilian, they told me that I would be going to a federal court.

HomeGuru

minhkolenda said:
It was on a military installation at an Army Air Force Exchange store. They handed me over to the MPs but since I'm a civilian, they told me that I would be going to a federal court.

**A: now why did you not tell us this information earlier? This is a whole new ballgame and the rules have instantly changed. Suffice to say, you need to be praying a lot.

minhkolenda

I don't know what to say or expect. I did ask the MP what might become of this case and he just kinda told me that chances are that I would have to a fine and that would be it since I don't have any criminal history. But then again, he can't guarantee me anything. I just want to know if I would need a lawyer and I know, I've been praying.

harveys

Former Military

Sorry to inform you that you will be reported to your husbands unit and subsiquently he'll find out. And yes the Feds handle such matters. If it is a first offence like you said you'll get a fine and maybe be barred from the store. You could be kicked off of post too.

minhkolenda

That was what I was afraid of...I didn't want him to find out because in his eyes, I'm a perfect mother, wife and student. With his unit finding out, I am such an embarrassment to him and I don't think I can deal with that right now. I was hoping that since he's a reservist, his unit won't find out. Is there any way I can prevent other people in his unit to find out other than his superior officers? I only want to protect him right now and I don't care if anything happens to me. I know I made a mistake and right now, I'm feeling really crappy, like I don't deserve to be with him if I've already screwed up this much. Will he get into any trouble?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">