• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting arrest - Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScaredMom2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My 20 year old son was arrested for shoplifting a $30 game from Target.

On the "booking page" online, it's shows the charge as "Theft by Employee - Embezzlement," but he is NOT an employee of the store.

What do we do? Why is theft of a $30 game come with a $5,000 bond!! It's the same as a drunk driver.....

Hopefully he is learning the lesson of his life tonight...

FlyingRon

You can't trust the computer listings. They are not the official charges.
You do KNOW that the THEFT BY CONVERSION (which is what the shoplifting is called in the statute) is a MORE SERIOUS charge than a first offense, moderate BAC DUI? It's a class A misdemeanor with a potential penalty of $5000 and a year in ail (as opposed to DUI being a class C, $500 and 60 days).

Further bail is amount is only partially determined by the nature of the crime. The other issue is how much they think they need to hold over you to guarantee your appearance.

He can also expect a nice letter from the Target lawyers demanding a substantial payment for their damages in dealing with handling losses caused by people like your son.

I would STRONGLY recommend a lawyer.

ScaredMom2

Bail bond person said that it's automatically a $5000 bond whether the theft is a pack of gum valued at a $1 or a flat screen tv valued at $2000**************

Still, it seems crazy that it's a "worse" offense than DUI...

Calling a lawyer in the AM, no one seems to answer their phone at 11pm.

This is going to be one expensive lesson for a college kid who has never been in trouble before - all the way around.

And he still has the wrath of the parents yet to deal with.....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bail bond person said that it's automatically a $5000 bond whether the theft is a pack of gum valued at a $1 or a flat screen tv valued at $2000**************

Still, it seems crazy that it's a "worse" offense than DUI...

Calling a lawyer in the AM, no one seems to answer their phone at 11pm.

This is going to be one expensive lesson for a college kid who has never been in trouble before - all the way around.

And he still has the wrath of the parents yet to deal with.....
He's 20 and an adult -- why shouldn't he be responsible for his own life?
And, why would ANY lawyer be working at 11 pm?

FlyingRon

The charge of theft by conversion is the same whether it's a pack of gum or a TV set as well. You can do the same time/fine for both. It gets elevated to felonies only when cars become involved.

As for the bond, I guess they expect that drunk drivers are more likely to show in court than thieves.

racer72

Hmm, no one has mention the civil penalty of $200 to $500 that Target will want from the OP's light fingered son too. Won't she be surprised!

ScaredMom2

Hmm, no one has mention the civil penalty of $200 to $500 that Target will want from the OP's light fingered son too. Won't she be surprised!
Aware of that penalty already, but thanks for your input.

You seem like a bunch of nice people. Thanks so much for your support of a very scared, frustrated and angry mother.

Yes, I know what he did was wrong and yes he is and will pay the price - I will not be absorbing these costs, I did nothing wrong, he did.

I was looking for support for me. Thanks again.

ScaredMom2

He's 20 and an adult -- why shouldn't he be responsible for his own life?
And, why would ANY lawyer be working at 11 pm?
Yes, he is 20 and an adult and yes he is responsible for his own life, mistakes and successes both.

As his parent, we have done everything to show him the right path. Despite his disabilities (Autism spectrum) he has accomplished so much, but unfortunately, bad decisions can haunt you for a lifetime.

So yes, I care about the outcome and yes, hopefully this one incident will be the only incident in his life.

As for the 11pm time - I work nights and sometimes forget the rest of the world doesn't work on my time.

Indiana Filer

The charge of theft by conversion is the same whether it's a pack of gum or a TV set as well. You can do the same time/fine for both. It gets elevated to felonies only when cars become involved.

As for the bond, I guess they expect that drunk drivers are more likely to show in court than thieves.
In Indiana, theft is a Class D Felony. They could charge it or amend it to conversion, a Class A Misdemeanor if the Prosecutor so choses, but any theft, whether or not a vehicle is involved, can be charged as a felony in Indiana. I have a case right now where a kid stole a bag of lemon drops. He's got a felony adjudication from that theft now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">