+ Reply to Thread
    mistakeprone is offline Junior Member

Shoplifting, but not caught

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I shoplifted from a national chain a few times, the latest time after leaving the store a plain clothed employee followed me to my car and I belive relayed my license plate number to someone via walkie talkie. This is the odd part, I made a legit purchase in the store (cash) and while walking out I set off the alarm but was waved on by an employee after stopping. What can I expect to happen from here? Can I still be charged if I wasn't stopped by anyone? The item in question that was shoplifted was $60.
    LeeHarveyBlotto is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistakeprone View Post
    Can I still be charged if I wasn't stopped by anyone?
    Absolutely.
    outonbail is offline Senior Member

I shoplifted from a national chain a few times, the latest time after leaving the store a plain clothed employee followed me to my car and I belive relayed my license plate number to someone via walkie talkie. This is the odd part, I made a legit purchase in the store (cash) and while walking out I set off the alarm but was waved on by an employee after stopping. What can I expect to happen from here? Can I still be charged if I wasn't stopped by anyone? The item in question that was shoplifted was $60.
    Of course you can be charged with shoplifting, the employee is not required to risk their own safety to stop you from leaving their property.

The burden of proof that you did in fact steal merchandise without paying for it, would be on the prosecution. So while it is preferred to physically catch you with the goods in your possession, store video and employee witnesses should still accomplish this without much trouble. Especially if you have priors for shoplifting. Which I'm going to make a wild guess here and say you do.

Don't be surprised when the police come knocking on your front door
    Wartrace is offline Member
    You really need to stop shoplifting. Are you really willing to risk your freedom for a sixty dollar trinket?

I have no opinion on whether or not you have been caught already, time will tell. One thing I am 100% positive of; If you continue to shoplift you will get caught.
    xylene is offline Senior Member

How to not get caught.

Never go to that store specific store again, ever.

If it is a chain store, ideally never patronize that chain again.

If the police arrive and ask to question you, decline. Answer no questions. Ask if you are free to go.

If the police arrive to arrest you, make no trouble and SAY NOTHING. Name and Address, that is it. No answers.

If they ask you do look at a tape. say nothing and decline.

If they say your on tape, say nothing.

Ask for a lawyer.

If a private detective / store dick asks to talk to you, decline and if they are at your house ask them to leave.

That's all you can do now.

Oh and STOP STEALING!
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member

**A: I wonder how many times you were on video?