• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hickvillehick

What is the name of your state? AR

18yo & 17yo detained for shoplifting at Arkansas Wal-Mart. 18yo claims not guilty. States that security tapes will prove not guilty. Employees claim carried stolen purse out when detained, 18yo claims carrying 17yo purse out when detained. 18yo admits to selecting CD's, but claims items were returned to shelves. 18yo admits to shopping in purse section, but claims never selected a purse. Wal-Mart employee admitted didn't actually see taking a purse. 18yo admits to going to the bathroom, but claims actually used bathroom and had no idea what 17yo might or might not have been doing during that time. Wal-Mart employees claim both agreed to search, 18yo claims employees never asked but just searched purses. 17yo had no parent present during search. ?Legal to search 17yo's purse that was in possession of 18yo without 17yo's parent present? ?Legal to search stolen purse in 17yo's possession without parent present? 18yo never questioned by police, merely written a ticket and allowed to leave. Wal-Mart employee stated to 18yo that no security tape could be given & not obligated to even give to police if they requested. Wal-Mart employee stated to 17yo that there were no tapes. 18yo from poor family. Criminal offenses not eligible for legal aid. 18yo told would have to plead not guilty at hearing (Jan. 20th) to get a court appointed attorney. This would mean that no plea bargains could be negotiated for expunging with community service and/or probation. 18yo fears that poor have no chance with Wal-Mart and 18yo's word against Wal-Mart security will mean automatic guilty verdict. 18yo never received ticket in life prior to this. Maintains innocence but fears no hope of winning case. Is there no one to help poor people in such situations?

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)Legal to search stolen purse in 17yo's possession without parent present? (QUOTE)

Didn't you state the 18 yr. old was carrying the stolen purse? And the answer is "NO", mommy does not need to be there for her child to be legally searched.

hickvillehick

Seems rather moot in light of your response, but no, the 18yo was carrying the purse owned by 17yo prior to visiting store.

Shay-Pari'e

hickvillehick said:
Seems rather moot in light of your response, but no, the 18yo was carrying the purse owned by 17yo prior to visiting store.
(QUOTE)Legal to search stolen purse in 17yo's possession without parent present?(QUOTE)

Your words, I simply answered you. He/she is not 18 yet, and was carrying a *STOLEN* purse by your own admission.

hickvillehick

Please let me clarify:
18yo in possession of purse owned by 17yo.
17yo in possession of stolen purse.
Both purses contained other items not paid for.
18yo claims no knowledge.

Shay-Pari'e

Look, if your reasoning is that they should not have been searched with out you there, then it is time to "Tag-Along" on their shopping sprees to insure they do not shop lift.

What a warped sense of reality you have.[
I]Funny, you never stated in your first post that they even stole anything.

Please try and get better parenting skills instead of trying to defend these children who shoplifted.
[/I]

Last edited:

hickvillehick

May God richly bless you for your assistance.

Funny, I don't recall ever mentioning being a parent at all. I suppose that this is the wrong forum for someone wishing to assist teens with their questions about various legal things. Seemed like an informative place for such, but I suppose that the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude makes that impossible here?

Have a great day!

Shay-Pari'e

We don't have crystal balls lady, so if you want someone to know you are not the parent, then state it.

However, it does not change the facts with the answer.

I will have a great day, Thankyou.

Shay-Pari'e

hickvillehick said:
May God richly bless you for your assistance.

Funny, I don't recall ever mentioning being a parent at all. I suppose that this is the wrong forum for someone wishing to assist teens with their questions about various legal things. Seemed like an informative place for such, but I suppose that the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude makes that impossible here?

Have a great day!
They were guilty, you said it yourself. What do you want to hear?

hickvillehick

hickvillehick said:
What is the name of your state? AR

18yo & 17yo detained for shoplifting at Arkansas Wal-Mart. 18yo claims not guilty. States that security tapes will prove not guilty. Employees claim carried stolen purse out when detained, 18yo claims carrying 17yo purse out when detained. 18yo admits to selecting CD's, but claims items were returned to shelves. 18yo admits to shopping in purse section, but claims never selected a purse. Wal-Mart employee admitted didn't actually see taking a purse. 18yo admits to going to the bathroom, but claims actually used bathroom and had no idea what 17yo might or might not have been doing during that time. Wal-Mart employees claim both agreed to search, 18yo claims employees never asked but just searched purses. 17yo had no parent present during search. ?Legal to search 17yo's purse that was in possession of 18yo without 17yo's parent present? ?Legal to search stolen purse in 17yo's possession without parent present? 18yo never questioned by police, merely written a ticket and allowed to leave. Wal-Mart employee stated to 18yo that no security tape could be given & not obligated to even give to police if they requested. Wal-Mart employee stated to 17yo that there were no tapes. 18yo from poor family. Criminal offenses not eligible for legal aid. 18yo told would have to plead not guilty at hearing (Jan. 20th) to get a court appointed attorney. This would mean that no plea bargains could be negotiated for expunging with community service and/or probation. 18yo fears that poor have no chance with Wal-Mart and 18yo's word against Wal-Mart security will mean automatic guilty verdict. 18yo never received ticket in life prior to this. Maintains innocence but fears no hope of winning case. Is there no one to help poor people in such situations?
Um, perhaps some legal advice (legal advice forum?) instead of pouncing with accusations based on assumptions. Perhaps coming back later may find someone has posted in such a manner.

Have a great day!

The 18 year old was carrying the 17 yr old's purse? Did she not bring her own? She's going to have a hard time selling that she didn't know anything because of that..

hickvillehick

Thank you. Difficult, yes. She did not take her purse to store. Claims was asked by 17yo to hold purse while they were shopping in last area before checking out. Claims she thought nothing of it. Claims she made her purchases first, then waited on 17yo. but did not pay attention as to what she did or did not pay for. Claims no knowledge of anything having been placed in the purse she was holding.

Shay-Pari'e

hickvillehick said:
Um, perhaps some legal advice (legal advice forum?) instead of pouncing with accusations based on assumptions. Perhaps coming back later may find someone has posted in such a manner.

Have a great day!
Yes, come back later. :rolleyes:

hickvillehick

--PARIDISE-- said:
We don't have crystal balls lady, so if you want someone to know you are not the parent, then state it.

However, it does not change the facts with the answer.

I will have a great day, Thankyou.
I am glad that it amuses you to make assumptions. I wonder where I specified my gender?

Glad that you will be having a great day, just curious why you insist on responding to this thread with all the negativity but no assistance. Enjoy spreading around sunshine, eh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">