• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting charge while on Parole NEVADA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnhill

NEVADA

Hi, I was shopping at a local groc. store, and selected a bottle of asprin along with my other food items... When I got to the registers I placed the items on the conveyor belt and was told by the clerk that I could not purchase non-food items with a foodstamp card.. I asked her to hold the things until I ran out to the car to get cash... which I then proceed to do, however on the way I stopped off at the bathroom... without realizing that I still had the bottle of asprin in my hand... Store security then entered the bathroom and arrested me for shoplifting. The asprin were found on the t.p. dispenser next to the toilet.. They WERE NOT concealed as I had no intention of leaving without paying... To make matters worse I am currently on Parole (expiration in Nov) court date for this charge in DEC. Should I plead not guilty? I never approached the exit, and I didn't show intent by concealing the item... Once I realized I still had them in my hand I sat them down on the dispenser in order to continue my bathroom visit, at which point I would have returned them to the clerk to hold for me while I went to get cash.. Security stated that ordinarily he would have waited till I reached the exit but didn't.. STATE OF NEVADA....

racer72

Something in your story doesn't click.

When I got to the registers I placed the items on the conveyor belt and was told by the clerk that I could not purchase non-food items with a foodstamp card.. I asked her to hold the things until I ran out to the car to get cash...
Sounds plausible at this point.

which I then proceed to do, however on the way I stopped off at the bathroom..
So you are holding up the clerk and other customers while you go to the bathroom?

without realizing that I still had the bottle of asprin in my hand...
Now in your first quote you state you asked the clerk to hold your things. Why not the aspirin?

Security stated that ordinarily he would have waited till I reached the exit but didn't..
Removing items from the sales floor is enough to be considered shoplifting, the rest rooms are not part of the sales floor. I would be there is a sign somewhere near the rest rooms stating not to take unpaid merchandise into the rest rooms.

You should hope your parole officer believes this. I am having a tough time doing so. I would suggest talking to an attorney.

johnhill

To clarify

My need for the bathroom was a matter of urgency ( I was sick, hence the aspirin) and I realized I'd never make it to the car, back through the checkout, etc... )

<<Now in your first quote you state you asked the clerk to hold your things. Why not the aspirin?

because she had placed them in my hand as she informed me that I could not pay for them with food stamps

Removing items from the sales floor is enough to be considered shoplifting, the rest rooms are not part of the sales floor. I would be there is a sign somewhere near the rest rooms stating not to take unpaid merchandise into the rest rooms.

When loss prevention kicked in the door to the bathroom stall, he saw me... relieving myself... and the aspirin were not in my 'possession' they were on the tp dispenser next to me... if that makes any difference... He also stated that he would have ordinarily waited until I attempted to leave the store before stopping me... He didn't state any reason for not having done things as usual...
You should hope your parole officer believes this. I am having a tough time doing so. I would suggest talking to an attorney.[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">