• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting Class 6 Felony (Please Help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AZ23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was recently arrested and charged for shoplifting (13-1805 H) class 6 felony.

This is my first offense. The item was returhttps://forum.freeadvice.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4
FreeAdvice Forums - Post New Threadned to the store. The only thing I have on my records is 2 speeding tickets.

I'm 22 years old. Active in my community service. Work with high schools students in leadership development. Full-time student at Arizona State University. And a clean record.

What I was wondering...
A) Is there anyway to get this down to a misdemeanor? (I want to become a teacher, and this will prevent me from doing so, and most jobs)
B) What fines am I looking at?
C) Is there jail time?
D) Should I get a lawyer or stay with a public defender?
E) What are usual outcomes of cases like these?

Last edited:

mike_lee

I'm sure with a good lawyer (no public defenders) you can get it moved to a lower class, they are probably setting you up for a plea, or even get the thing set aside. (ain't lawyers great?)

Unfortunately lawyers charge more for felonies. (don't lawyers suck)

LeeHarveyBlotto

I'm sure with a good lawyer (no public defenders) you can get it moved to a lower class, they are probably setting you up for a plea, or even get the thing set aside. (ain't lawyers great?)

Unfortunately lawyers charge more for felonies. (don't lawyers suck)
Doctors charge more for a cardiac bypass than for wart removal. Don't doctors suck?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was recently arrested and charged for shoplifting (13-1805 H) class 6 felony.

This is my first offense. The item was returhttps://forum.freeadvice.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4
FreeAdvice Forums - Post New Threadned to the store. The only thing I have on my records is 2 speeding tickets.

I'm 22 years old. Active in my community service. Work with high schools students in leadership development. Full-time student at Arizona State University. And a clean record.

What I was wondering...
A) Is there anyway to get this down to a misdemeanor? (I want to become a teacher, and this will prevent me from doing so, and most jobs)
C) Is there jail time?
A: What statute number are you charged under?
B: See first answer.
C: See first answer.
D: A public defender is a lawyer.
E: There is no "usual" outcome.

Just a word of caution, prosecutors are hesitant to plea bargain felonies (especially ones like yours) down to misdemeanors.

AZ23

I'm not sure what statute number. Where would I find that? I only have under "Vio. Code/ARS/City/ACCH No." 13-1805 H. I don't see on any of my forms specifically stating statute.

mike_lee

Doctors charge more for a cardiac bypass than for wart removal. Don't doctors suck?

\ˈhyü-mər, ˈyü-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English humour, from Anglo-French umor, umour, from Medieval Latin & Latin; Medieval Latin humor, from Latin humor, umor moisture; akin to Old Norse vǫkr damp, Latin humēre to be moist, and perhaps to Greek hygros wet
a: that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b: the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c: something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

AZ23

It gave me specifics of what I was charged with. I was hoping for more detailed answers to my original post.

C) Is there jail time?

If you could help answer these as well Ozark_Sophist, that would be much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">