• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting, Felony or Misdemeanor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IUHoosiergirl25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I just read a post by jrjacks21 that sounds almost exactly like my situation. Last week I attempted to steal over $500 of items from Von Maur in Castleton. They didn't hesitate to tell me this was a felony..but the cop wrote "Criminal Conversion" on my citation.

I just spoke with a lawyer on the phone who told me that I could still be charged with a felony even though the cop cited me for conversion. Is this true? The lawyer is quoting me a very high fee because this "could be a felony charge". He has totally scared me as well as made me skeptical about whether his intentions are good. I feel like he is trying to get more $ out of us b/c of the POTENTIAL for a felony.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I just read a post by jrjacks21 that sounds almost exactly like my situation. Last week I attempted to steal over $500 of items from Von Maur in Castleton. They didn't hesitate to tell me this was a felony..but the cop wrote "Criminal Conversion" on my citation.

I just spoke with a lawyer on the phone who told me that I could still be charged with a felony even though the cop cited me for conversion. Is this true? The lawyer is quoting me a very high fee because this "could be a felony charge". He has totally scared me as well as made me skeptical about whether his intentions are good. I feel like he is trying to get more $ out of us b/c of the POTENTIAL for a felony.
Since you've already confessed to the crime (right here), you likely need an attorney to guide you sensibly the rest of the way.

Indiana Filer

Eh? Conversion is a class A misdemeanor unless it involves a vehicle.

Of course, the charges could be amended to something that is a felony before the trial starts.
In Indiana any theft can be charged as a Class D Felony. I have a case right now where a juvenile stole a bag of lemon drops worth $1.07 after tax. He has a felony charge as a result, the same level of felony as the juvenile who stole a car. The punishment will be different of course. This juvenile is going to be on probation. The kid who stole the car went to IDOC Boy's School (juvenile prison).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">