• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting (Grand theft) help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leon27

What is the name of your state? California

Hello...I was caught shoplifting at Macy's for around $900 I was also heavily medicated...my medications causes behavior changes...I do admit what I did was wrong..I was caught and was put in jail they released me about 3 hrs. later (no bail) I can't recall who I spoke to in jail but the guy said I didn't belong there..(my meds causes memory loss) and he was going to release me..which was great...but now I am charged with grand theft this is my first offense..I need some a help..are they going to put me back in jail?? I have a Dr's note and will be hiring a lawer..has anyone else gone through this?? please help..thanks!

Last edited:

CdwJava

Yes, you could go back to jail if convicted or remanded in to custody. Only your attorney can say whether you can use your medical issues as a defense. It's NOT that easy in CA to do that. It generally requires that YOU prove that had you not been taking the medication (as prescribed) you would NOT have committed the crime, and that you could not have known right from wrong at the time of the theft. Not an easy task.

- carl

S

seniorjudge

Google california voluntary intoxication

You don't really have any defense (if meds is the only thing you can think of to defend yourelf).

The judge has heard that one before...plenty of times, I can guarantee you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">