• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in ILLinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ctins

What is the name of your state? Illinois

i was arrested for shoplifting $135 worth of bras from kohls, i dont know what came over me but either way i got caught. What kind of punishment can i expect? on the worst case sinerio and best :) please answer!!! also i have never been arrested and have a clean record. and anyone out there reading this DONT SHOPLIFT!!!!! you'll get caught, and this having only happened a week ago i am under an extreme amount of stress and i regret ever doing it.

racer72

Maximum possible sentence, 3 years in jail and a $10,000 fine. Plus the retailer can hold you liable for a civil penalty of up to $800. Most likely scenario, a year or two of probation, a criminal fine, a civil fine from the retailer and a lifetime banishment from their stores.

Ctins

whats happens during probation? does that mean i cannot leave the state or something??? btw thank you for replying and everything ^_^

redred

Expungement Issue

State:New Jersey

About 6 yrs ago I had a shoplifting case (my first and only arrest ever)...Anyway, I had the case expunged last year after 5 yrs. I recently graduated from nursing school and I asked my lawyer if on my application for nursing licensure should I check "no" if ever convicted of a felony... the lawyer told me I should check "no" since the case is expunged, and he also read something in a law book which said I can answer "no"... So I checked "no" under the advisment of my lawyer...but now I feel like I will get into trouble b/c I spoke to other nurses and they say I should have never checked "no"... and now in the state of new jersey nurses have to be fingerprinted to get their license... I want to know am I going to be in deep trouble to get my nursing license...Please reply ASAP.

Last edited:

racer72

redred, please don't hijack of folks threads, start your own. Delete your post in this thread and start a new one.

Ctins

aside from the probation thing whats the difference between a criminal fine and a civil fine? please respond, MUCH THANKS!!

club20019

Did the police give you a city ordinance or is it a state charge. Luckily you wont be charged with a felony because the value is under 150.

racer72

Ctins said:
aside from the probation thing whats the difference between a criminal fine and a civil fine? please respond, MUCH THANKS!!
The criminal fine is what the court will require you to pay as part of your punishment. The civil penalty is what the store can make you pay as part of the cost of loss prevention. Your state is one of the highest in what the law allows a retailer to charge those caught shoplifting.

Ctins

should i get a lawyer? i really cant afford one and my dad is comming with me to my court date(i think he wants to speak for me?), if i do get a lawyer/dont what do you think my total expences in court may be? ie how much w/ a lawyer + possible cour fines or without a lawyer and court fines/repercusians

much thanks all!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">