• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting - Indiana State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kezeal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I'm the adult brother of a minor who was caught shoplifting at a major retail store here in Monroe County, Indiana. She was arrested by the Loss Prevention detective, and the total value of the items stolen was about $200.

With our parents divorced, and our legal father living out of state, it was left to me to handle the paperwork and sign off on everything (since she isn't allowed to sign the any documents). I have limited power of attorney.

The LP did not call the police, and she was released after she returned the property. They advised that only a small portion would be sought in restitution. He said the paperwork would be filed through our "local offices" and we'd hear something in 24-48 hours, but its been close to 2 weeks now and we haven't heard anything.

We need to move out of Indiana due to a change in work status. Whom should I contact? Do I need to get an attorney to look into this, or does the lack of a police arrest mean that I need to get a hold of the retail store to find out?

Edit: An additional note... due to her outstanding cooperation and the fact that she showed remorse for shoplifting, the LP said he would put in a good word for her. Not sure how much weight that carries with the prosecutor's office, though.

justalayman

If the police were not called, I would suspect there will be no police involvement. What you are waiting for is a "civil demand" which is basically a fine the store can impose on a shoplifter outside of the criminal actions the state can pursue.

If moving is a must, I would suggest contacting the store personnel and speaking with them about your situation. If they report that they did not turn the issue over to the police, then there will be no criminal action. I would then ask them if there is any way to expedite any civil demand that might be forthcoming due to your situation so you can take care of it before leaving the area.

If they can or will do nothing and the police have not been involved, I would simply make sure they are aware of your new address once you move. That way if a civil demand is issued, it will reach you without delay.

dave33

At this point I would not worry about the police, they can find you if they want to. Same thing with the store. Begging for a bill? You are a rare man indeed. If they want money from you, let them put in a little effort. Unless of course you are having a moral dilemma, than by all means give them a call with your new address and phone number. Maybe even a credit card number that way they can take whatever whenever. Last sentence was sarcasm.goodluck.

justalayman

At this point I would not worry about the police, they can find you if they want to. Same thing with the store. Begging for a bill? You are a rare man indeed. If they want money from you, let them put in a little effort. .
the reason I suggested contacting the store is: if the demand does not get forwarded to the OP, it could result in a lawsuit. It can also encourage the store to attempt to file criminal charges as well. They generally have at least a year to file charges.

Kezeal

Danke Sehr

This is good information from all. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">