• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting laws for california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shelleylorraine

What is the name of your state? California
I was recently accused of shoplifting but when the situation was explained to the manager he told me dont worry about it and I left. well i was wondering if he could change his mind and try to have me arrested or charged or somthing? I am asking because my mom was upset with the store and filed a complaint with the company. so I thought it might make that manager mad and then he could send me a bill or somthing?
let me know , I do not know the law for california but have heard of this happening in other states.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shelleylorraine said:
I was recently accused of shoplifting but when the situation was explained to the manager he told me dont worry about it and I left. well i was wondering if he could change his mind and try to have me arrested or charged or somthing? I am asking because my mom was upset with the store and filed a complaint with the company. so I thought it might make that manager mad and then he could send me a bill or somthing?
let me know , I do not know the law for california but have heard of this happening in other states.

My response:

Who are you anyway?

First, in your "other" post, found at:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?postid=349519#post349519

you're the wife of a cop arrested for shoplifting.

Now, you're the daughter who was caught shoplifting, and now you say your mother "got upset and filed a complaint with the store."

Which is it - - are you the mother or the daughter who's doing the writing? You know, we don't like to be "gaslighted" by people on these forums - - but, you're not even doing a good job with that. Try to keep your personas straight, okay?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

This is your "other" post, referenced above. Do you wish to explain this scenario, and who you are?

shelleylorraine

excessive force???
I was shopping at savemart supermarket with my husband and 2 and 5yr olds. I shop here every week and spend at least 200.00 a week. Half way through the baby started to cry so I got a pacifier and opened it went to the bathroom to rinse it and returned to my child and gave it to him. I put the package in the cart with all my stuff and proceeded to shop. approx half hour later after checkout we were exiting store i had 2 plastic bags of groceries and my sons hand when 2 gangster looking guys came running out of the store 1 guy grabbed my husband the other guy grabbed my arm twisted it behind my back and handcuffed me , he scared the hell out of me!! he then said somthing about security come with me now , he showed me no id , he hurt my arm because I was still hanging on to the bags behind my back while handcuffed, they tried to handcuff my husband but stopped when he told them he was a peace officer. they then let him go and took me upstairs. they asked me where the binki(pacifier was) and thought I had hid it in my clothesI explained i went in the bathroom to wash it off not hide it, they then took the hand cuffs off and called the manager, the cardboard the binki was on did get put on the belt but didnt get scanned and went in the belt tray. the manager said dont worry about it and let me go.
I feel they used excessive force and should not be able to go that far. they scared my kids to death and totally stressed me out also.
can they do this and is there anything i can do about it legally. I know I should not have opened it in the store, but i honestly was not trying to shoplift, just make my baby happy.

11-11-2002 04:33 AM

S

shelleylorraine

Re: Re: shoplifting laws for california

who am I anyway- well look at my profile, i am someones wife and someones daughter, what in the """ does that matter?
you dont seem to be able to answer any of my questions.
and you dont seem to read the statement correctly,
I was not arrested- you stated I was arrested!
I did not steal anything.
I just had 2 questions and you did not answer either one, you just got smart with me on both.
I guess I will look else where for answers because this isnt the place.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Who are you anyway?

First, in your "other" post, found at:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?postid=349519#post349519

you're the wife of a cop arrested for shoplifting.

Now, you're the daughter who was caught shoplifting, and now you say your mother "got upset and filed a complaint with the store."

Which is it - - are you the mother or the daughter who's doing the writing? You know, we don't like to be "gaslighted" by people on these forums - - but, you're not even doing a good job with that. Try to keep your personas straight, okay?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">